Hyundai and Kia suspension damping from factory

Anyone else find Hyundai and Kia vehicles have bouncy suspension tuning from the factory?

I've never tried any of their high end cars but I've driven a few relatively new vehicles of theirs and they all seem to be under damped, taking a few cycles to settle after a bump which unsettles the vehicle if it happens in a turn.

My spouse just got an Elantra GT and I'm thinking a set of aftermarket shocks is going to be in its future. Any recommendations? Bilstein, Koni, etc.

Anyone else find Hyundai and Kia vehicles have bouncy suspension tuning from the factory?

I've never tried any of their high end cars but I've driven a few relatively new vehicles of theirs and they all seem to be under damped, taking a few cycles to settle after a bump which unsettles the vehicle if it happens in a turn.

My spouse just got an Elantra GT and I'm thinking a set of aftermarket shocks is going to be in its future. Any recommendations? Bilstein, Koni, etc.
What year and trim level Elantra?
You may be limited on what is available after market.
Kyb will be stiffer and a harder ride.

My Wife has Santa Fe lease no suspension issues at all to report, Rides well. I also had a Kia Forte Rental few weeks back didn't feel any issues with the suspension.

It may be your wife's new Elantra GT may have a bad shock(s)

What year and trim level Elantra?
You may be limited on what is available after market.
Kyb will be stiffer and a harder ride.
2016 Elantra GT.
Looks like the stock suspension is KYB but there's a "twin tube" upgrade option for the rear. I'm a bit hesitant to buy the KYB if it's what's on the car as stock but maybe the twin tube will perform a bit better?
I would have thought the shocks were going out but I've had the exact same issue with every single vehicle from them I've driven including some rentals with low mileage. The ride is fine otherwise, it just oscillates more times than is normal under certain conditions.

All my Hyundais have ridden very well. Especially the new Tucson I have. One of the quietest and smoothest cars I have ever had.

I really like the ride of my Kia Soul, especially for a small car, but car reviewers have universally commented on how soft the larger vehicles feel when driving. The Soul is on the softer side but being a small car with a short wheelbase I think this helps and I don't think it hurts.

I'm a fan of the flat colors after seeing silver, white, black for years (full disclosure, I've owed 2 black, 1 white, 2 silver vehicles). This color is Baja Storm Metallic. It looks flat from a distance with small flake that can be seen up close.

View attachment 221102
Was that post supposed to be here?

Two reasons come to mind. One, the rear suspension is a torsion bar. On a light car, they are hard to control. The second, big wheels/ skinny tires. Odd the kYB is stiff unless the previous owner did that for a reason. When I had my 2014, the KYB shocks worked very well for solving that 'rear end' bounce (I'm taking it that the front struts are stock).

The Elantra GT 2013 to 2016 is known for this problem in the lower trim model. If you have sport suspension, it's less of a problem. The rear suspension was changed with the following model [2017] as the shocks were moved rearward. Upgrading to KYB 554384 is a partial cure.
I find driving in the city over a large bump can feel like the rear end of the car hops up and a little sideways when it lands, making it rather exciting when you are least expecting it. Poor design.

I changed out my OE struts and shocks on the Accent with KYB at 125k miles or so. Too soon. Still on OE shocks and struts with the Gen Coupe at 136k miles. They are starting to get clunky.

Neither is bouncy. The OE stuff was better than the replacement KYBs on the Accent. I have a slightly used OE set for the Gen Coupe ready to go on.

Like the ride of '18 Accent . One of the reasons it was purchased new . Keep tires at 2 > 3 p.s.i. over the recommended T.P. . Many dealers don't adjust the tire pressure from the factory to the needed P.S.I. on door pillar . I bring a tire pressure gauge and drop it to advised T.P. when on a test drive to get real sense of the ride , etc.. Have seen at 45 or higher on new cars .

I think 2018 Hyundai Sonata factory suspension rides well for the price point. Put KYBs front and rear on a 2010 Sonata I have. The 2010 is a rougher ride overall even before the new struts and shocks. Handles fine when cornering. Try Bilstein. Thats my next strut purchase

Back