Hyundai 2.0 MPi Blown up Low oil?

Hello all wondering what you think of my engine issue. Note i got a brand new block now.

Engine had 60k mile and ran ppu at 3k mile interval all it life. Suddently at 60k it started rattling after going wot on an onramp.

Checked oil it was 2 quart low for some reason on 4.2 quart. Never had any oil light or anything. Never burned any oil before that i noticed last oil check for comsumption was probably at 40k mile. Burning 2 quart in about 3-4k mile seem a bit crazy

Mechanic result : scuffed Cylinder 4 and rod bearing on 1 and 3.

Trying to figure what happened?

I have no recall on my years for piston ring but the 2019+ do.

Thank you.

What year is your Hyundai? Is it part of "Nu MPi" engine family (2010+) or is it the older "Theta II" family? For example - G4KD is the worst about knock at low mileage/age.
Some 1.6L and 2.0L engines had issues with defective wrist pins, which spirals into piston slaps, scored cylinders, rod bearing failures, or a full on snapped rod and a hole in the block. Usually without much of a warning, and almost always at higher RPMs. Such as spirited acceleration, or 2-4 hours into a normal highway trip on cruise control.

Hyundai recalled, replaced or fixed many engines with a lifetime warranty ... Very happy with the customer service.

I'm sure being 50% low on oil is what killed it, but factory defects did exist in some of those 2.0L engines, depending on years of manufacture.
Hyundai is great about their warranty. No questions about it. But I'm sure we can all agree that it would be better if they concentrated on Quality VS Quantity.
Sincerely, a guy with a 2009 Hyundai Accent 1.6L/5MT hatchback daily driver.

What year is your Hyundai? Is it part of "Nu MPi" engine family (2010+) or is it the older "Theta II" family? For example - G4KD is the worst about knock at low mileage/age.
Some 1.6L and 2.0L engines had issues with defective wrist pins, which spirals into piston slaps, scored cylinders, rod bearing failures, or a full on snapped rod and a hole in the block. Usually without much of a warning, and almost always at higher RPMs. Such as spirited acceleration, or 2-4 hours into a normal highway trip on cruise control.
Completly forgot i posted here sorry for late reply.

It a 2018 so it got the new nu mpi from 2017 and up. Atkinson garbage underpowered pos. 😅. It hilarious that the accent 1.6 and even the corolla 1.8 is ways faster on accel because of torque. Civic 2.0 is like a rocket.

Especially with only a 4 quart capacity to begin with.
Yea well at 60k mile burning 2l in 3-5k mile is already mostly dead. Would not have lasted another 60k mile before major oil burning issue and deposit.

Was covered on extended warantly. But am aint buying ever again a hyundai. The rest of the car is 100% issue free. But the engine and heating is garbage.

Back