Hyphenated American?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkC, I agree with you completely. I attended a school a few years back and one of the students was a man of Scottish background who was constantly boasting of his Scottish ancestry-to the point that people began to consider him a racist. I got along with the guy at first. One day we were eating lunch together and he asked what my nationality was. I told him I was an American. He looked kind of shocked by my answer.

I am an AMERICAN. My ancestors came mostly from Ireland (inspite of my English name), maybe Scotland (there is a McDonald name on my mother's side), some English, and a little Cherokee Indian. I have been able to trace successfully my family backgrounds back to mostly Ireland since at least the 1600s. I am proud of my ancestry. But America is where I live and America is as legit a country as any other. I wonder what would happen if somebody (a French citizen) in France starting walking around telling everybody that they were Belgium-French or German-French.

I am a third generation American on my father's side and a second generation American on my mother's side. But I do not tell people I am Irish or Irish-American. I know a little about the Banshee, a little about Queen Maude, and so forth. But I am an American. I could go around telling everybody that I am Cherokee, because I believe the Cherokee consider anybody who is at least 1/64 Cherokee to be Cherokee. My grandmother on my father's side was either 1/2 or 1/4 Cherokee, so I probably qualify. And I know a little about the Trail of Tears and ol' Stonecoat. But I don't go around calling myself a Cherokee either.

I think it is a little silly to hear people calling themselves Irish-American or African-American or German-American or whatever. But people can do whatever they want to. For me, I am an AMERICAN. And I am proud to be an American.

The problem is politically correctness. PC has gone too far over the years.

I'm not a racist but I feel thatbeing labeled as a hyphenated whatever is wrong and racist in itself. IOW, if someone calls themselves a "whatever-American" then they are against Americans who are not of the same fore group..the "whatever" part.

I grew up in a predominately white area. There was a family up the road which had a black father and white mother. Their sons, my friends, considered themselves Americans....who just happened to be black. When another black family came to the area they let it be known that they were African-Americans. My friends were shunned by this new family's kids because they weren't so hung up on the whole race issue to feel the need to "hyphenate" their ancestry.

Technically they were Jamaican-Americans anyway!!
grin.gif

Now, on to the article. Racist actions on the school? No, it had nothing to do with the boy's race. At least on the surface. Discriminatory? Definitely. Some call it reverse discrimination when a white person is discriminated against. Most of the liberal left-wingers call it "affirmative action". Either way it's BS. That boy is actually from South Africa. If you really want to get technical he is the ONLY person in that whole school who is eligible for the award!! Personally I would find a lawyer and file a lawsuit. I don't think I'd actually sue but I'd do enough to scare the heck outta the school board to make em change their ways.

BTW, sorry if this sounds a bit inflammatory but I have had numerous bad issues with this in the past. I wanted to become a state trooper in NY and at the time the requirements changed. I needed to have 3 years of college. I had no problem with that...until I found out that members of other races (I'm white) and women had a lesser requirement....some only needed a HS education. I've dealt with this sort of crap for years in all sorts of places. I feel it is wrong and that a person should be judged on his merits not his race/nationality.

Off soap box

Mikie

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:

1)I am an AMERICAN. I have been able to trace successfully my family backgrounds back to mostly Ireland since at least the 1600s. I am proud of my ancestry.
2)But America is where I live and America is as legit a country as any other.
3)I wonder what would happen if somebody (a French citizen) in France starting walking around telling everybody that they were Belgium-French or German-French.
4)And I am proud to be an American.

1) American is a citizenship, Irish is a nationality,despite our TV fueled poor use of english, there a distinction.
2)Exactly! its where you . As a People we have become so uprooted, that this, has become a criterium(!) when it should matter who you , not where you to live.

I have more in common with those of my people that live in Brasil, Austria, our oppressed minority in polish occupied germany, etc etc then I do with the people who live 2o feet from me.

My family has been in this country well before the USA was founded, but that wont change my identity..

3) It happens all the time expect PPL wouldnt bother with the hyphenating.
A walloon might say, I am a Walloon (but that is so close, he would likely just say french)
An italian with french citizenship, from the border villages w/ italy would say "I am an Italian whose village happens to be within french borders".
A man from Strassburg might say I am german (or Alsatian, as Politcal correctness in France dictates the german minority calls itself).

The phenomenon of PPL of different enthnicites sharing a citizenship should not be cause of alarm, even if they (gasp) happen to realize that.

Why have this deep identification with something where can just show up and become it?

Also as a "national" identity, we have little beyond the hollow myths, our hischool teachers tell us, as long as anyone can just show up and become "an American".

Also, its a different country now, than it was just 50 years ago.

A Nation never changes (unless it got wiped out) and neither does a nationality.

You can be born in any country in the world and still have the same nationality, just different citizenship.

Citizenship is a paper ,that stands for a political-economic-social contract we have with each other, but has nothing to do with who you really are.
That's what your nationality is for.

Fred..
smile.gif

[ January 22, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

From what I read about human anthropology, we're ALL "African - Americans". It just depends on how far you want to go back.

Now let's say a "black" person who grew up in England came to the US and became a citizen. Are they an "African - American"?

Point is, my heartburn with the term comes more from its inaccuracy than anything else.

Never mind I think it's ridiculous at best to give an award to the "best" of a 70 person subset of the student body. Those kids obviously saw the inconsistency of it and raised the BS flag. Insensitive, yes. Inappropriate, maybe not...

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
Never mind I think it's ridiculous at best to give an award to the "best" of a 70 person subset of the student body. Those kids obviously saw the inconsistency of it and raised the BS flag. Insensitive, yes. Inappropriate, maybe not...

well, said.

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
Those kids obviously saw the inconsistency of it and raised the BS flag. Insensitive, yes. Inappropriate, maybe not...

cool.gif
Chance you take, balkanizing people, yes. Dude's from Africa.
dunno.gif
More African than the African-Americans who've been here for 6 generations. If they want a BLACK Student Of The Year, then say so and call it that. Now then, if this is offensive to the black students, how is it different than black people using the "paper bag test"?
dunno.gif
Racism of a different color, so to speak. (FWIW I grew up in a pretty integrated place, everybody was cool with everybody)

Matt89, I agree with you. Ultimately, the human race came from Africa. So on that basis, if you are going to say that nationality is based on where people came from, then we are all Africans.

People have moved around quite a lot in the past few millions of years. Since we all ultimately came from Africa, that is our nationality. We are just citizens of France, Ireland, America, or whatever. Kind of silly, huh? I was born in the USA and my nationality and my citizenship are American.

Something else-there is only one race of human beings. If people were different races they would not be able to breed and produce children. White skin or black skin or whatever are just environmental adaptations. It is believed that people who lived many gnerations in northern areas with less sunlight developed lighter skin so that they could more readily obtain Vitamin D from sunlight. People with green or blue or gray eyes can see somewhat better in hazy conditions. God or no God, nature is always working to adapt lifeforms more readily to their environment.

offtopic.gif

My last name is Remesal-Lopez...the Air Force made me hyphenate my last name which actually DOES NOT inlcude a hyphen.....Remesal is my dad's last name....Lopez is my moms......many or most Hispanic parents give their children father/mother last name. Middle name is occasionally used, but as you can imagine, one's name could turn up to be a mile long and extremely hard for 99% of non hispanics to pronounce.
My name is butchered on a daily basis
frown.gif

Just listening to boortz

www.boortz.com

Anyhow he was saying that any hyphenated Americanism is exclusive to that race as well as others.

The term AMERICAN is inclusive to all races.

In case you don't understand I'm talking

African-American
Chinese-American
Latin-American
Swiss, German, or any other nationality.

So what do you think?

The context of the conversation deals with a "white" person being nominated as the "african american" of the year for a school.

quote:

Students disciplined for posters on King Day

BY MICHAELA SAUNDERS

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

A small group of Westside High School students plastered the school Monday with posters advocating that a white student from South Africa receive the "Distinguished African American Student Award" next year.

The students' actions on Martin Luther King Jr. Day upset several students and have led administrators to discipline four students.

The posters, placed on about 150 doors and lockers, included a picture of the junior student smiling and giving a thumbs up. The posters encouraged votes for him.

The posters were removed by administrators because they were "inappropriate and insensitive," Westside spokeswoman Peggy Rupprecht said Tuesday.

Rupprecht said the award always has been given to black students.

Westside Assistant Principal Pat Hutchings said the award has been given for eight years on Martin Luther King Jr. Day to a senior selected by teachers.

Rupprecht said disciplinary action was taken against the students involved but, citing student privacy policies, she declined to specify the penalties or what about the students' action led to them.

Karen Richards said her son, Trevor, who was pictured on the posters, was suspended for two days for hanging the posters. Two of his friends also were disciplined for hanging the posters. A fourth student, she said, was punished for circulating a petition Tuesday morning in support of the boys. The petition criticized the practice of recognizing only black student achievement with the award.

One of the school's students, Tylena Martin, said she was hurt by the posters and the backlash she said it caused.

Martin, a junior, said she is the only black student in her homeroom class, and the poster was on the door to her classroom when she arrived Monday morning.

Westside has fewer than 70 blacks out of 1,843 students this year.

Hutchings said she heard from several students about the posters Monday.

"Many students were offended," she said.

Karen Richards said her son and his friends were not trying to hurt anyone.

"My son is not a racist," she said. "He has black friends, friends from Bangladesh and Egypt. Color has never been an issue in our home."

"It was a very innocent thing," she said.

Richards said her family moved to Omaha from Johannesburg six years ago. Trevor, she said, "is as African as anyone."

In my opinion, hyphenating yourself is sort of like helping to balkanize the country. We're all Americans now, regardless of where our ancestors came from. My own came over from Ireland,Scotland and England, and I'm a bit proud of that heritage, although it's actually silly. How can you be proud of something you had no control over?
Anyway, I'm not Scottish-Americam, or English-American, or anything else, but American.
My kids will be half-Japanese, and they'll learn about and appreciate that cultural tie, but they'll be Americans.
I realize it's nice to be aware of and proud of your roots, but sometimes it goes too far.

Seminara is an Italian surname (but I'm only 3/8, the rest being Euromutt), my wife is of pure Japanese ancestry (3rd gen) but didn't want her maiden name hyphenated to/with Seminara (can't say as I blame her)

But our daughters (one with chestnut brown hair, the other dirty blond, lighter than mine, btw), our daughters have shown no urgency to be called ItalodutchangloscottishbelgianJapanese-Americans.

It just doesn't make sense. Silly practice started by some folks trying to feel better about themselves or feel better about what others did many years ago. They are free to do this, but there are better ways to feel good about yourself than renaming where you think you belong or came from.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

It just doesn't make sense. Silly practice started by some folks trying to feel better about themselves or feel better about what others did many years ago. They are free to do this, but there are better ways to feel good about yourself than renaming where you think you belong or came from.

I think it would actually be the governments fault for starting something to allow some minority groups a chance to get started. The way I see it now is that everyone has the same fair chance to succeed, not individually, but group wise.

Which brings me to another government problem that they don't push enough, striving for individual succees instead of just giving a payout for those that don't or don't want to succeed.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Seminara is an Italian surname (but I'm only 3/8, the rest being Euromutt), my wife is of pure Japanese ancestry (3rd gen) but didn't want her maiden name hyphenated to/with Seminara (can't say as I blame her)

But our daughters (one with chestnut brown hair, the other dirty blond, lighter than mine, btw), our daughters have shown no urgency to be called ItalodutchangloscottishbelgianJapanese-Americans.

My wife originally planned to use her maiden name, and my surname(no hyphen), but Kanazawa Coleman got to be a bit long to write and speak, so she went with her initial and my name, and now finally just our last name.
I don't know if our kids will have Japanese or wetsren first names, but I look forward to sseing who they resemble.(Please God, let them take after their mom...)

cool.gif
At some point when PC and Aff Action really goes too far (if it hasn't already) I'm going to pick some nice and easy job and threaten to sue if they don't hire me because they're under their quota of Italians.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back