Hylomar on hose fittings

Chevy454z71

@Trav When using hylomar on plastic and metal fittings do you let the solvent evaporate then put the hose on or just put the hose on immediately? Does the heat from a cooling system help it evaporate if you don’t allow it time to evaporate? I was running some tests on hylomar and when I put two pieces of steel together if I don’t let it evaporate first it doesn’t set up and make that tacky seal, does it seal anyway without letting it set up? When working with coolant hoses is hylomar universal blue or m better? The universal blue stays really tacky after solvent evaporation while the m gets pretty hard but still soft enough to seal something just not tacky with the touch of a finger.

I put the hoses right on, the Hylomar when initially applied acts like a lube that makes new OE hoses a breeze to get over the fitting.
The M is the one I use and never had a problem with leaks especially on plastic fittings in 0 degree weather or removing the hose years later. Call me a fan of this product.
Thank you!

Very little, if any, solvent in Hylomar. It doesn’t really dry out or cure like RTV. You have a long working time with it.
You have unlimited assembly time and there are solvents in them, universal blue and m have different solvents and it says they both have very similar physical properties once the solvent has evaporated out but in my experience the m is a lot “stiffer” not as tacky as the universal blue. I’d show pictures but the test pieces I have are at home and I won’t be there for a couple days.

IMG_7181.jpg

You don't want to leave it before installing the hose it makes it a little more difficult if the hose is tight. Acetone is harmless to EPDM hose rubber so it will not harm it to install "wet", after a few minutes it has released the solvent. Do let it sit 15-20 min before installing if using it on flanges or metal to metal.

Back