Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The study’s author, Ben Scott, a senior analyst with IHS Automotive, said fuel cells have a window of opportunity to get a foot hold in the market right now, while they have some advantages over battery electric vehicles. Fuel cells have longer driving range, for example, and shorter fueling times. “Refueling habits with a fuel cell vehicle will be very similar to that of a conventional car. This will definitely help with customer acceptance,” Scott said.

Quote:
Hydrogen refueling infrastructure remains a hurdle, however. Today there are approximately 100 public hydrogen refueling stations in the world (16 in the U.S.) More stations are coming in early adopter markets, but they are expensive — more than $3 million, compared to relatively inexpensive EV charging stations.

I think most of the 16 public hydrogen stations in USA are in California.

Quote:
Hydrogen is readily available for industrial uses, but comes mostly from fossil fuels like natural gas and coal. Hydrogen can be produced from renewable sources, but it’s much more expensive. “There is no market today to justify that premium and that market needs to be created to encourage investment in upstream hydrogen production capability. There is currently a trade-off between hydrogen carbon footprint and cost,” Scott said.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/...s/#608c9ae6415d

It looks like Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles will have a tough time to beat battery vehicles.

Who is going to invest $3 million to build a hydrogen station and hopefully will get 10-20 customers a day(at best) ?

Who is going to buy a Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle without refueling station within 10-20 miles ? How about driving across country without many stations around ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It looks like Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles will have a tough time to beat battery vehicles.

Who is going to invest $3 million to build a hydrogen station and hopefully will get 10-20 customers a day(at best) ?

Who is going to buy a Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle without refueling station within 10-20 miles ? How about driving across country without many stations around ?

Those are the exact same hurtles for any alternate fuel. The EVs still have a number of obstacles on their own, but their saving grace is that they can be charged at home.

Natural gas or propane fueled vehicles have the same problems, but are the most practically, financially and economically feasible of the whole bunch in today's reality, yet nobody wants to even give that technology a shot for the mainstream. It's all pure [censored] and nothing more but games.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I haven't seen the greenies picketing hydrogen mines.

Don't get me started on the technological ignorance of most greenies...

If they only knew that most H2 comes from steam reformation of natural gas...at a net energy loss from just using natural gas itself,,,

Hydrogen fuel cells are also a LOT lighter than batteries for a given amount of energy.

On the flip side, hydrogen is much less efficient and more dangerous.

For electric race cars, I can see the argument for hydrogen fuel cells. For the masses, batteries just seem like a much better idea.

EV has the battery scale breakthrough recently via portable electronics as well as auto industry volume increase.

Hydrogen fuel cell for automotive use will not have the efficiency of battery, heck, even facility electricity generation would only be viable on SOFC along with co-generation (for steam, hot water or air conditioning).

Most importantly, a well build hydrogen tank in a car would cost almost as much as the battery of an EV, so what's the point?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I haven't seen the greenies picketing hydrogen mines.

If they only knew that most H2 comes from steam reformation of natural gas...at a net energy loss from just using natural gas itself,,,

NASA is reportedly working on a pipe line to Jupiter, which I'm sure greenies will block.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14

It's no worse than the technological ignorance of the general population. It's just... more relevant in this context.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back