Hydraulic Oil VS Rubber

Chicken Gutz

In a previous question I asked for (and received) advice regarding grease equivalents for use in my manual lathe spindle bearings. Pursuant to that I decided to get stupid and fabricate a total loss oiling system for the bearings complete with plumbing in lieu of using grease. I built a reservoir, manual pump, and modified the inner bearing dust caps (not seals) to accept oil lines as well, and it worked great other than the resultant oil recovery problem which I am still working out. It isn't terrible since the volume of oil used isn't that great, but it does cause more mess than I like.

I've made a few pump plungers using o-rings, nylon sheet, neoprene, and even leather as seals on the piston / plunger. They all work great for a while, then seem to lose a bit of their sealing quality and the oil gets past the plunger. The plunger is made from Delrin, and the tube is 1/2" seamless copper tubing (polished internally).

So, after that unnecessarily long preamble, I'm asking what type of rubber or material might be best used in constant contact with ISO 32 Hydraulic oil to maintain a good seal on the plunger. Silicone sheet, perhaps? A combination?

Again, thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Back