Hydraulic jack fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
newbie question:

I have a 2.5T hydraulic jack that has lost a bit of fluid. Are all jack fluids "the same"? Are they incompatible that I have to drain the prior fluid before adding the new? Are there any "favorites"?

Most hydraulic jack fluids are usually a 6 to 9 cSt fluid.

Any of the hydraulic jack oils on the market will work and unless the current fluid is dark or contaminated, just add it to the current fluid.

One can use ATF in a pinch.

I have a 30 year old Tru-Lift 2 ton floor jack that still has the original fluid in it. The jack only gets used occasionally in my home garage. Is it a good idea to change the oil, or should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I have a 30 year old Tru-Lift 2 ton floor jack that still has the original fluid in it. The jack only gets used occasionally in my home garage. Is it a good idea to change the oil, or should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Im sure it only holds less then a qt so why not change it?

Boy a whole $2 for a new bottle.....
smirk2.gif

Would using quality ATF in a "pinch" really be that or could it be a better option than a cheepy "jack oil" ?

Most Jack oils are GroupI base oils and ATF's are at least GroupII and have a measure of Anti-wear addtives.

So I think specifically I would use a High Mileage ATF since it should perform better in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back