K72 transaxle Fluid

I have a K72 transaxle that came with hyguard LV(J20D) fluid in it, the manual states you can use Hyguard J20C as welk. The manufacturer Tuff Torque on their Oil selector site states units were shipped with j20D but states for replacement to use their own Tuff Torque Hydraulic fluid which is a 5w-50.

I reached out to HPL to see if the have a fluid that would work.

The J20D is somewhere around a 7-8 cst at operating, while the 5w-50 is at 15+CST I would guess. What a difference. Wonder why the manufacturer is recommending a heavier fluid?

I have a K72 transaxle that came with hyguard LV(J20D) fluid in it, the manual states you can use Hyguard J20C as welk. The manufacturer Tuff Torque on their Oil selector site states units were shipped with j20D but states for replacement to use their own Tuff Torque Hydraulic fluid which is a 5w-50.

I reached out to HPL to see if the have a fluid that would work.

The J20D is somewhere around a 7-8 cst at operating, while the 5w-50 is at 15+CST I would guess. What a difference. Wonder why the manufacturer is recommending a heavier fluid?

I put Castrol Edge 5w50 in my K46, which is a Tuff Torq transmission. It’s working well after a couple uses. It operates much smoother on starts and stops than the old fluid.

FWIW they recommend the 5w50 for enhanced life. The OEM fill works but the 5w50 provides longevity.

Just my $0.02

From research tough torq seems like a company who actually wants to help the customer. They have instructions on how to service there non serviceable transmissions. Parts are available to rebuild. They changed to 5w50 for a reason and I’m sure it’s to help the unit live under hotter conditions for longer. I would use 5w50. Jd just specs fluid they sell if it works in that application. Not necessarily the optimal fluid.

Longevity is kind of what I figured, They do say however to use their 5w-50 fluid, they don't say use any 5w-50. At first I thought it was just marketing. I had an old gravely the used to call for 20w-50 and I never had any problems with it.

Do the 5w-50s have more AW than say a 5w-40 T6, Delvac or even a Mobil1 0w-40 or 5w-40 Euro?

Longevity is kind of what I figured, They do say however to use their 5w-50 fluid, they don't say use any 5w-50. At first I thought it was just marketing. I had an old gravely the used to call for 20w-50 and I never had any problems with it.

Do the 5w-50s have more AW than say a 5w-40 T6, Delvac or even a Mobil1 0w-40 or 5w-40 Euro?

I don’t know that I can answer your questions but I had some of the same thoughts. Could I just use the F&F 5w40 HDEO I have on hand. Then I figured what’s $25 in a $900 transmission in a tractor that’s 21 years old…. I settled for the Castrol Edge and topped it off with 5w40 because I needed about 2.2 quarts.

IMO the 5w50 is better than the OEM 10w30 fill and matches the manufacturers recommendation.

Just my $0.02

I don’t know that I can answer your questions but I had some of the same thoughts. Could I just use the F&F 5w40 HDEO I have on hand. Then I figured what’s $25 in a $900 transmission in a tractor that’s 21 years old…. I settled for the Castrol Edge and topped it off with 5w40 because I needed about 2.2 quarts.

IMO the 5w50 is better than the OEM 10w30 fill and matches the manufacturers recommendation.

Just my $0.02
Thx. Mine calls for 5.3 QTS and I have bunch of 40 grades sitting around and some 15w-50 but don't have any 5w-50. I was just wondering since the LV Hyguard was a 20 grade that seemed to work.

Back