hybrid purchase

For new, I personally consider the corolla hybrid the absolute best "bang for your buck". Hybrid powertrain from the Prius. I also still believe that Toyota does hybrids best when considering reliability, efficiency and so on.

Disclaimer: I own an IONIQ Hybrid

1. IONIQ Hybrid Blue (if you can find one).
2. Niro Hybrid
3. Corolla Hybrid

Toyota makes the best hybrids. Depending on your budget, I would consider a Venza. The new Lexus NX is a Venza.
Wifey sez her RX450h gets better mileage than her 2006 TSX 4 banger.

How much mpg you really need? If not much Corolla hybrid would be cheaper, but Prius has better aerodynamics, so better fuel economy. Aftermarket battery wise Prius is still the best out there, so if you want to keep for 15-20 years then it is still the best long term choice.

The corolla hybrid might not attract catalytic thieves.

The Prius Prime has a $4502 Federal tax spiff the regular one doesn't have. You lose a little trunk space but might gain HOV lane access (for a while.) The flipside is some states charge extra for registrations because of its (meager) electric drive capabilities.

And also far better cargo versatility, if that matters to you.
The best bang for the buck if you are willing to go used, is a Prius V. Massive cargo volume if you fold the rear seat down, and still get 40mpg. It is sort of a slightly smaller Rav4 hybrid at a slightly above Prius price.

The best bang for the buck if you are willing to go used, is a Prius V. Massive cargo volume if you fold the rear seat down, and still get 40mpg. It is sort of a slightly smaller Rav4 hybrid at a slightly above Prius price.
More accurately, it was a Prius station wagon, although they refused to call it that. Unfortunately, they're irrelevant, if we're talking new vehicles, because they've been discontinued.

More accurately, it was a Prius station wagon, although they refused to call it that. Unfortunately, they're irrelevant, if we're talking new vehicles, because they've been discontinued.
They are calling it a wagon though. In every document from DMV to insurance and other stuff I see they are called a wagon. I love wagon.

They are calling it a wagon though. In every document from DMV to insurance and other stuff I see they are called a wagon. I love wagon.
To be more clear, I should've said Toyota refused to call it a wagon---which didn't change reality.

You can't beat Toyota's HSD system for reliability, efficiency and integration of an automatic transmission function, while other designs still need a separate conventional or DSG transmission. It appears that the new Ford Escape Hybrid will use the system, as they did with the original model two decades ago.

Toyota may make the best hybrids, but the Accord EX-L is, in my opinion, the best driving one. It's sporty, comfortable, roomy and efficient. It's also the least annoying because it is so quiet.

Toyota may make the best hybrids, but the Accord EX-L is, in my opinion, the best driving one. It's sporty, comfortable, roomy and efficient. It's also the least annoying because it is so quiet.
Agree, my Accord EX hybrid is exceptionally comfortable. Lots of cabin room and a hugh trunk. From my three years experience 50+ mpg warm weather, 44+ mpg in cool / cold weather.

Hyundai ionic hybrid. Can’t beat a 10 year 100k warranty. It might fall apart, make noises but Atleast you’ll know it’ll keep driving for 10 years/100k.

Hyundai today isn’t Hyundai from 2002.

The Toyota hybrids are tried and true but the Prius is too polarizing and the Corolla hybrid is meh. The Honda Insight is pretty sleek but leaves a little to be desired. My pick would be the Accord Hybrid Touring if I wanted something nice. Hyundai Ionic Hybrid Blue if I just wanting the quickest way for efficiency.

Back