HVO 100 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with personal experience with running HVO 100 diesel? Any thoughts about that? Does it sell in US at all?

would that be similar to b100?
upto 5% biodiesel is common, 20% less common, 100% nearly unheard of for various reasons.

but it varies widely by region.

Originally Posted by Rand
upto 5% biodiesel is common, 20% less common, 100% nearly unheard of for various reasons.

It's not supposed to be like the regular biodiesel. Hydrogenated vegetable oil, and at 100% they call it synthetic diesel with no amount of regular diesel. It is renewable, and here in Sweden made of leftovers from ethanol and butchers leavings. I know Mercedes has tested it in their new 2,0 CDI engine in the taxi cars, and Volvo and PSA is using it. It should reduce the soot alot, so the DPF is working less, with less need to regenerate, and that alone will net consumption. Some rumors that it has a slightly better cetane number, but that I hoped someone knew more about. It is said to reduce the emissions by 80-90% over the regular B7 that is sold here. And the HVO should have a summer and winter version. Anyone has more insight in this? And tested it? What happens to the motor oil with this? I was thinking of trying it in my older V6 CDI engine.

I work on public transport that run 100 HVO in their fleet, honestly i don`t know where is the origin of the fuel but the fuel i crap. Its quite aggresive, clogs up the filters in just few months and it reduces OCI in half. The only reason they use HVO because the stupid politicians wants it, but the fuel i crap. Stay away, its trouble...

Originally Posted by Rand

It's not supposed to be like the regular biodiesel. Hydrogenated vegetable oil, and at 100% they call it synthetic diesel with no amount of regular diesel. It is renewable, and here in Sweden made of leftovers from ethanol and butchers leavings. I know Mercedes has tested it in their new 2,0 CDI engine in the taxi cars, and Volvo and PSA is using it. It should reduce the soot alot, so the DPF is working less, with less need to regenerate, and that alone will net consumption. Some rumors that it has a slightly better cetane number, but that I hoped someone knew more about. It is said to reduce the emissions by 80-90% over the regular B7 that is sold here. And the HVO should have a summer and winter version. Anyone has more insight in this? And tested it? What happens to the motor oil with this? I was thinking of trying it in my older V6 CDI engine.

It takes about 0.5l of diesel fuel to regenerate a dpf. 0.5l every 300 miles or more isn't anything that would concern me, and certainly not if the HVO100 is more expensive than regular diesel fuel. Even if you can halve the DPF regens there's no savings from fuel in it over the lifetime of a vehicle.

Even the cost of removing a functional DPF doesn't outweigh the savings.

Lift an old tread. I drive Ford Ranger 2011 and a 2020 on HVO100 without any problem so far but i notised thet it seams to be agressive to some rubber types. The rubber seal on the spare can is now unusable when it got spongy and too big to seal.
HVO100 is made by the Finnish company Neste.
We also have RME100 but that one clogged a lot of filters and easy get bacteria growing in tank so that one I stay away from.

How is the Duramax 6.6 to drive on HVO100 ?

Lift an old tread. I drive Ford Ranger 2011 and a 2020 on HVO100 without any problem so far but i notised thet it seams to be agressive to some rubber types. The rubber seal on the spare can is now unusable when it got spongy and too big to seal.
HVO100 is made by the Finnish company Neste.
We also have RME100 but that one clogged a lot of filters and easy get bacteria growing in tank so that one I stay away from.

How is the Duramax 6.6 to drive on HVO100 ?
This stuff is available in California and sold as Renewable Diesel.

I used this fuel for a couple years and stopped. We have 56 cetane diesel #2 here in CA and it’s superior to RD. Better fuel economy, more power and torque. I supplement with a diesel fuel additive so soot production is actually lower than base HVO100.

RD AKA HVO100 does cause fuel leaks in older diesels. It’s common with the 1.9 VE and PD Volkswagen diesels. Viton seals are the usual remedy.

There were some studies done by CARB and certain engines actually had higher emissions with RD vs. CA Diesel #2. It’s highly dependent on engine type and tuning regarding emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back