HVAC ?

I had a Trane Clean Effects whole house electronic/electrostatic air cleaner installed in my hvac system in 2006. I've been very pleased with it as far as it collecting dust, allergens, pet dander etc, plus I haven't bought a hvac filter in 14 years. It's been running nonstop for several weeks. Anyone else using either whole house or tabletop electronic cleaners?

RabbitAir air purifier in use at our house for years. When you see everything that it filters out of the air, it's worth it IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

I had electrostatic air cleaners in my furnaces in the past. My wife was a smoker and that wreaked havoc on the element. I always hated the cleaning tasks that resulted. Eventually I decided that that system was not for me and switched it to a 3.5" thick (approx) standard filter. I think the going brand name at the time was "Air Bear" or something like that.

Upon upgrading the air system in this Florida house, I went a different route, which has worked out well for me. My initial intent was to mitigate the mold issues that sometime arise in this damp climate. So I decided to install a UV lamp in the A Coil plenum. It is proceeded by a MERV 10 20X20X1 standard filter. This gives me the best of both worlds. High filtration, no cleaning (even though the filter elements can be pricey) and protection from airborn pathogens.

Recently that system has given me an additional level of comfort that I had not expected.

Originally Posted by JohnG
High filtration, no cleaning (even though the filter elements can be pricey) and protection from airborn pathogens.

Even the, umm, better not go there.

We have a Sharp Plasmacluster FPA40 in our living room, and it does a good job of keeping visible dust out of the air. I can really see the difference when a sunbeam shines into the room. The Sharp has an ionizing feature which I keep turned off due to the annoying high frequency noise it produces.

Some of these suggestions create ozone as a byproduct. bad for human health, bad for the environment. Such solutions may sound good, and even deliver what feels like a quality result. But big picture not a good idea.

I too run 5"x25", and it's very very nice. My wife bragged for many years she no longer had to dust. Not true, but certainly far more rarely. It helps that I've a variable speed furnace fan and run it on a low speed around the clock.

Originally Posted by dafish
Some of these suggestions create ozone as a byproduct. bad for human health, bad for the environment. Such solutions may sound good, and even deliver what feels like a quality result. But big picture not a good idea.

The RabbitAir does not emit ozone when the ionizer is off, I've done the research
wink.gif

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by dafish

The RabbitAir does not emit ozone when the ionizer is off, I've done the research
wink.gif

Ozone emission is a definite concern when considering an electronic air cleaner. My Trane whole house electronic air cleaner emits 3 ppb of ozone on the high field charger setting per the manual and the Trane website specs. It emits 1.5 ppb on the low setting. The epa lists 50 ppb or less as safe.

Back