HVAC starter capacitor leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
My a/c has developed an intermittent problem where the unit faults when it first turns on, but eventually comes on, on the second or third attempt.. I wanted to replace the starter capacitor, but I couldn't disconnect the leads from the capacitor posts. I certainly didn't want to put too much force and break something when we still have a/c. How would you go about disconnecting the wire leads from the capacitor posts?

I've been in the house for 28 years. The unit is around 34 years old. I believe the starter capacitor is original.

[Linked Image]

I would cut the wires and crimp new spade connector, they have them at harbor freight and other hardware stores.

I also would cut and put new clips the wires. looks like the capacitor may be leaking as well.

That's not the capacitor, that's the compressor. That connection looks OK, there's no evidence of overheating. I would not touch it.

Regular spades may not fit on the terminals or clear under the plastic cover. And you do want that cover on.

Last edited:
As already mentioned, that is not the capacitor. Those are the compressor terminals.
Leave them as is.

Follow the yellow wire back to the capacitor.

Is there a contactor in there? You may want to replace that as well (and it may possibly be the problem).

I have two units at my house from the mid 80's that still run and work fine. A few years ago I replaced a few capacitors and the contactors as preventative maintenance, and keep a spare of each on hand.

You could use a bit of corrosion inhibiting compound on those wires. Just to ensure corrosion does not cause high resistance.

Thanks all for the information. I'll set this project aside until after the a/c season. There's a panel over a box on the side of the condenser coil assembly. That's probably where the capacitor is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back