Husqvarna made Craftsman lawn tractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know which models of Craftsman lawn tractors are made by Husqvarna? My 15 year old Bolens crapped out today and I read here the the Husqvarna made Craftsman's were decent. Thanks for any help that you can offer.

All Craftsman mowers have been Electrolux/Husqvarna for over 20 years now..... unless they switched to MTD or something.

Everything at Sears has a source ID - part of the model number.
Low-end price mowers: If model number starts with 247, it's MTD.
High-end mowers: If model number starts with 917, it's Husqvarna.

Model numbers starting with 917 are made by Husqvarna. Those starting with 247 were made by MTD.

I think for 2018 all Craftsman riders are made by MTD.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
Model numbers starting with 917 are made by Husqvarna. Those starting with 247 were made by MTD.

I think for 2018 all Craftsman riders are made by MTD.

+1 - this information is accurate when I worked part time at Sears in lawn & garden/tools. I spent most of the money I made buying tools since the job was mainly for "hobby money" Hated pushing service contracts.

Get the short turn with cast iron front axle ... lots of grease fittings and solid B&S Platinum ... no rust on my 42" deck 7 years and counting

Originally Posted by 4WD
Get the short turn with cast iron front axle ... lots of grease fittings and solid B&S Platinum ... no rust on my 42" deck 7 years and counting

I have that Mower(7 years old) and it does perform well with one exception. The engine is prone to blowing head gaskets. That happened to mine 2 years ago. After researching the problem, it appears to happen more often than I would like, as there is a narrow place where the gasket blows.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by 4WD

I have that Mower(7 years old) and it does perform well with one exception. The engine is prone to blowing head gaskets. That happened to mine 2 years ago. After researching the problem, it appears to happen more often than I would like, as there is a narrow place where the gasket blows.

If that spot on in the head a minor resurfacing would fix it. If on the cylinder side,
there's more work involved.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
Originally Posted by 4WD

If that spot on in the head a minor resurfacing would fix it. If on the cylinder side,

No, that's not the problem. Where the HG blows is at a very narrow part of the head. Google it and it shows this.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
Originally Posted by 4WD

No, that's not the problem. Where the HG blows is at a very narrow part of the head. Google it and it shows this.

Yep, the issue is that there is a section that has a thin area of gasket and no bolts around it.

The ones from 2008-09 the old YTS series Husqvarna made ones were really solid but they've been on the decline since. The old ones had reinforced deck rims, lots of grease fittings. The YT series the year after was slightly cheaper and it's been that way year after year. I should note the price has gone down though since I bought mine. My Grandpa bought one of the top of the line ones early this spring and it's a pretty solid tractor, basically the same as the Husqvarna with arm rests and he has a large area to cut.

Technically there is nothing wrong with the better MTDs with Hydrostatic drives, I had one for quite a while, just need to maintain it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back