Humidifier and moisture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you and the family are staying hydrated and drinking at least 8 cups of water per day. If you don't track it you probably aren't getting enough. Staying in the shower too long with hot water won't help either. Blot dry after shower. Original Dial soap is excellent and can even help clear up some skin conditions. A family member is testament to that. Lots of olive oil should help as well. Good luck!

Found a hygrometer. It shows almost 60% at the moment, low moisture on the windows; but it is kinda warm at 32F outside. So, probably too much humidity if anything; will move meter around the house and monitor.

I'm leaning towards diet, as we stay decently hydrated and active. I'll let the wife see about diet adjustments.

My dwelling was at less than 10% relative humidity last winter according to our indoor temperature/humidity gauge. We purchased a ultrasonic humidifier, and it ran for 2 days straight to bring the humidity up to 25% RH. This winter we got it out a month ago, and it's kept the relative humidity right about 30%. It goes through about 2 gallons a day of water.

The cold surfaces of your house are dehumidifying what may be already low RH. It's really difficult to maintain a reasonable RH in the winter for that reason, unless you have a modern, well insulated hermetically tight house.

You definitely do not want to run and hum. and dehum. at the same time!!

Originally Posted By: supton
It shows almost 60% at the moment, low moisture on the windows; but it is kinda warm at 32F outside. So, probably too much humidity if anything; will move meter around the house and monitor.

60 is good, at this moment you wouldnt need more.

I'm right about 35% currently, but my skin particularly the back of my hands are ashen and cracking and has been since the weather turned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back