HPL Cleaner!!

I'm ready to finish a cycle of cleaning up my Silverado and Accord engines with this stuff....

I've been running Redline oil through them, and using Liqui-Moly engine flush and hydraulic lifter additive. Now to finish up strong.

Attachments

• PXL_20221019_215704390.jpg
    PXL_20221019_215704390.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 66
Chances are, your engine is already fairly clean, so I would not expect to see significant activity.
When I had a new timing chain put in the Honda at 180k miles, there was significant varnish in the engine.... everywhere. Plus my VTC actuator grind at start-up never really went away after the fix either even though I replaced the chain, EVERYTHING that touches the chain, the VTC actuator with the updated part, and the VTC solenoid.

Then I ran 8 OCI's with Renewable Lubricants 0w30 and that really dissolved all that varnish. No more VTV actuator grinding either now.

So now I'm out of RLI oil and back to M1. I cut my OCI's from 10k back to 5k, but I want to make sure I keep cleaning and don't revert back to varnish I saw.

The real Redline oil does a good job but I would like to see. How are we going to prove efficacy?

When I had a new timing chain put in the Honda at 180k miles, there was significant varnish in the engine.... everywhere. Plus my VTC actuator grind at start-up never really went away after the fix either even though I replaced the chain, EVERYTHING that touches the chain, the VTC actuator with the updated part, and the VTC solenoid.

Then I ran 8 OCI's with Renewable Lubricants 0w30 and that really dissolved all that varnish. No more VTV actuator grinding either now.

So now I'm out of RLI oil and back to M1. I cut my OCI's from 10k back to 5k, but I want to make sure I keep cleaning and don't revert back to varnish I saw.
What Honda did you change the timing chain on? I thought Accord had a timing belt, at latest the older gens.

What Honda did you change the timing chain on? I thought Accord had a timing belt, at latest the older gens.
It's in his sig, 2010 Accord w/ K24, all K series use a chain but yes all the older ones such as the B, D, F, H series all used belts.

I have not heard of Renewable Lubricants do they have esters comparable~ to a HPL oil for cleaning? I did a Google search and saw they were biobased but that was about it.

Which did you run previously at 10k OCIs.

All of this is in reference to my 2010 Accord. I ran mostly M1 and old stocks of PU from 30k miles --> 160k miles. 95% of these miles were long highway trips taking my son BMX racing all over the country. I'd like 9-10k mile OCI's that entire time. Then the timing chain went out. Everything was replaced and I started using up an old stash of ELI 30 weight oils. The oil would become VERY dark right during the 5k mile OCI's (my mechanic blamed the timing chain failure on extended OCI's....so cut back to 5K). A scope into the valve cover shows a lot of varnish has been removed. During the 2nd OCI's....the VTC grinding noise stopped as well.

It hasn't returned either. HOWEVER, I just ran out of RLI. So I'm going back to M1, but wanting to use this new cleaning oil from HPL occasionally to keep the varnish away.

Reactions: wlk
It's another "I bought the t-shirt, now I'm part of the team" post.

I'm not sure what this means.....but I know my Accord runs much better now after running RLI and removing varnish. So I'm trying to keep this fairly clean so I don't have this VTC problem come back.

After a few OCI's with the HPL cleaner, I may just start to run HPL oils in the car (or Red Line)

I'm not sure what this means.....but I know my Accord runs much better now after running RLI and removing varnish. So I'm trying to keep this fairly clean so I don't have this VTC problem come back.

After a few OCI's with the HPL cleaner, I may just start to run HPL oils in the car (or Red Line)
Yeah I'm going to find a time also that I need to run through the last few quarts of redline oil that I have

Back