HP wireless printer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
In setting up an HP wireless printer, there did not seem to be an option for static IP address, only dynamic. How about after a power failure and things power up, what happens if the printer gets a different IP address and the port specification on the PC (for the printer) now specifies the wrong IP address?

I have a Samsung wireless printer and I have specified a static address for it and thats worked fine for a year.

If the printer is set for DHCP, it will ask the authoritative source (your router) for an IP. If you lose power, its possible that the router could assign a new IP. The printer would simply use the new assignment. if just the printer loses power, nothing changes because it looks to the router for assignment. Hope that makes sense.

The solution is to log into your wireless router and assign an IP to the printer from there. That way, the printer will request an IP from the router (via DHCP) but the router will have an IP reserved specifically for that printer, so it gets the same one every time. That's how all the computers and devices in my house are set up.

The WIFI is provided by a HOT SPOT application on a tablet. Not much you can configure there except for SSID and encryption key.

I realize the printer will obtain a new address and it itself will be fine. But how will the PC know the new IP address of the printer when one tries to print?

Scan the network, should see its host name. Add a network printer, choose that name, etc. When you print it will be to the default printer selected via its host name. The host name will remain the same even if the IP changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
The WIFI is provided by a HOT SPOT application on a tablet. Not much you can configure there except for SSID and encryption key.

I realize the printer will obtain a new address and it itself will be fine. But how will the PC know the new IP address of the printer when one tries to print?

Oh, I figured since the hot spot app was acting as a DHCP server, you might be able to configure a reservation. In that case, I dunno.

I talked to HP and they say they do not do anything fancy with respect to a dynamic IP address for their printer. The port for the printer definition on the PC has the IP address hard coded as part of their install.

In my estimation this will always fail at some point especially with WIFI phones and TVs and BluRay players.

They suggest a static IP address. Really, how novel of them.

But given the WIFI hotspot application on the Droid phone only supports 5 users, I have to wonder about IP address assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back