Howell Torpedo 1896

With my Grandfather being a WWII submariner, I have always been fascinated w/ torpedos, or 'fish'.

Wasn't one of the Kriegsmarine cruisers sunk w/ torpedos of that era in WWII? Blucher maybe??

My great uncle served on U-102 in WW II, was sunk 30. June 1940.

I believe the Blucher was sunk during the German invasion of Norway by both shell fire from shore as well as shore launched torpedos. 1940 would have been the year.

Interesting video.
And it all works off the spinning of the heavy flywheel.

If a person had access to a machine shop (and blueprints), that would be a nice project to make.
A real work of art.

Last edited:
Absolutely incredible. I wonder how much better the 10,000 RPM flywheel would have worked in a vacuum with minimal air resistance losses?

I get tense when the plane door gets closed for a moment [claustriphobic] But once the plane gets going all is good. i doubt I could do a submarine.

I get tense when the plane door gets closed for a moment [claustriphobic] But once the plane gets going all is good. i doubt I could do a submarine.

To me it's the pressure all around I know is there at depth. Could never get that out of my head. That's literally why once my eyesight fell off and I could under no circumstance go to flight school, I resigned from Annapolis.

I think NOW I could deal with it psychologically, but youngsters don't have perspective

Russian subs have had escape pods for the crew for the longest time, not sure if they ever used them. But nato subs don't have those at all. So knowing you WILL die if anything happens is probably not helping.

I stumbled on an article about the old S boats the US used before and all through WW2. I was surprised those old pig boats soldiered on throughout the whole war.

Somewhere in here is the horrific tale of brass hat stupidity concerning faulty ( useless) torpedoes. It showed the numbers fired in the early war , 1942. They should have sunk a major portion of the Imperial navy in 1942 but the majority never exploded or blew up after firing. One sub hit a cruiser with 4 and none worked . That’s got to be a record of some kind. Then there’s The battle between the admirals , skippers and Ordinance Dept sounded almost comical if people weren’t dying because everyone capable refused to investigate. Blame game and turf wars are nothing new I guess. True to form some admiral got wind crews were removing the magnetic sensors and just going contact explorers . He threatened anyone getting caught with that usual sort of directive.
Anyways it’s in those articles someplace and there’s a lot of pictures and history of early US submarines.

Russian subs have had escape pods for the crew for the longest time, not sure if they ever used them. But nato subs don't have those at all. So knowing you WILL die if anything happens is probably not helping.
The irony being a Russian sub goes down with it's entire crew every 10 years or so, not sure the last time something like that happened to a NATO sub. For the US we're nearly 60 years since the Thresher went down.

jeff

Back