Howdo you defend American cars from Import lovers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I'm neutral about this subject but I could never figure out how you can defend the US auto industry when it comes to how much money is going back to America.

For example, the main defense is "If you buy an American car, the money is going back to America.".

From what I've heard, Korean and Japanese factories in America are actually helping America by a long shot. The Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe use majority American metal and American made parts. Even with some money going back to South Korea, majority of the money stays in America. Same with the Toyota Camry: majority of parts are American and majority of the money is staying in the US... same with the Honda Accord which is greatly helping Ohio out. Heck, majority of Korean and Japanese cars are even engineered and designed in America.

Even American cars that are built in different countries help foreign countries more than the USA.

But the real question is, how can an American defend American cars when it comes to supporting the USA?

I hope this is not considered a political question because I have no intentions into making this political.

Funny you brought this up. I recently purchased serpentine and accessory belts for my Mitsu - made in USA. Friend of mine recently purchased a set of brake pads for his Crown Vic - made in Mexico. His AC compressor is also made in Korea, and the car is built in Canada.
crazy2.gif

My way of looking at it is that buy supporting American car companies ('the big three'), you're helping support competition that will KEEP 'foreign' car man. building cars here, and supplying jobs.

By having 'big three' car plants in NA, it give foreign car companies an impetus to build there plants over here, and create jobs to 'show they're helping America too'.

If all of the big three went belly up, all that would be left is the 'foreign' car companies. They could build the cars whereever they wanted, as there is no competition anchored in NA that will keep them here.

Don't know if that made sense....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
My way of looking at it is that buy supporting American car companies ('the big three'), you're helping support competition that will KEEP 'foreign' car man. building cars here, and supplying jobs.

By having 'big three' car plants in NA, it give foreign car companies an impetus to build there plants over here, and create jobs to 'show they're helping America too'.

If all of the big three went belly up, all that would be left is the 'foreign' car companies. They could build the cars whereever they wanted, as there is no competition anchored in NA that will keep them here.

Don't know if that made sense....

That made perfect sense.
thumbsup2.gif

Keep in mind also, that many of the Import brands building cars in NA are not strapped with the unions that the Big 3 have to cope with. They (Ford for example) have gone to building their less expensive vehicles in Mexico to get away from the Union labour and increase their profit margins. This was necessary for the company's survival.

its a global world. there is no more such thing as an "american" car. fords built in germany, toyotas built in MANY countries, GM cars built everywhere.

senseless argument IMHO. everyone needs to earn their crust of bread regardless of nationality.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Now, I'm neutral about this subject but I could never figure out how you can defend the US auto industry when it comes to how much money is going back to America.

You defend it, by point out that american car's keep the Aftermarket industry productively employed.

There seem to be two major schools of thought on this subject:

One being that if the industry fails it is because the business model is flawed and one must learn to adapt to a global economy or be left behind. Many who believe this are very "modern" in their thinking and think that having a strong manufacturing base on your home soil is antiquated thinking.

There are others (mostly older people, or people who grew up around older people) who feel that one should support domestic companies because it is wise to keep a strong manufacturing base on your home soil in the event of war. Much of this harks back to WWII where GM, Ford and Chrysler turned their car factories into war factories and provided a host of products to the American forces to fight the Nazi's and the Japanese.

My grandfather was in the RCAF, served as a tail-gunner and boot-camp sergeant, so you can probably guess which group I fit into.

I don't have a "hippy dippy" world view and fully expect WWIII at some point in time. Hopefully not in mine or that of my children though.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Originally Posted By: Shannow
nope

nope to ...?

To the assertion that having the "Big three" is what makes the other manufacturers produce in the US.

In the absence of the big three, cars and parts would still be being made in the US...a nation of unemployed couldn't afford a foreign car.

(Was too slow in replying)

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
There are others (mostly older people, or people who grew up around older people) who feel that one should support domestic companies because it is wise to keep a strong manufacturing base on your home soil in the event of war. Much of this harks back to WWII where GM, Ford and Chrysler turned their car factories into war factories and provided a host of products to the American forces to fight the Nazi's and the Japanese.

I've encountered some old guys that told me I'm being "anti-American" because I'm driving an "import". Despite Hawaii being the target of Japanese bombers during WWII, imports seem to be more popular here.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
There seem to be two major schools of thought on this subject:

One being that if the industry fails it is because the business model is flawed and one must learn to adapt to a global economy or be left behind. Many who believe this are very "modern" in their thinking and think that having a strong manufacturing base on your home soil is antiquated thinking.

My grandfather was in the RCAF, served as a tail-gunner and boot-camp sergeant, so you can probably guess which group I fit into.

I don't have a "hippy dippy" world view and fully expect WWIII at some point in time. Hopefully not in mine or that of my children though.

I fall in with this crowd as well.

Overkill,
that's a good point, and why I was so annoyed with the previous PM who sold our national small arms factory, built in the early 20th century (they make powder for Hogdon too) to a French consortium, who closed down significant parts of the business as "unprofitable".

During lean times (military weapon wise), they used to produce sporters, drive shafts for outboards. much like Norinco, Zastave, etc.

Now they make a handful of steyrs.

Simply, I don't defend anything. It's one of those whizzing contests where you're never going to change anyone's mind.

"Big 3" will say, well try driving what we make NOW, we've caught up in quality, yadda yadda... I don't need to visit a showroom as these new cars still make up the airport rental fleet. Had a Pontiac G6 for a couple days and came to a rather quick conclusion on the subject.

Since I pay $200-2000 for my used examples, I don't have that much time and research invested: it comes down to the condition of the particular car. Since I'm not married to one set of wheels for 15 years, 6 of them making payments, I don't encounter the cognitive dissonance many feel when some smug "other" points out how vehicle Y is "superior"... and like much in life, have a sense of humor about the whole thing.

Used cars are the most domestic. Supporting local mechanics supports a large group of technically skilled troubleshooters. Buying new cars supports mostly a bunch of robotic devices.

I'm a firm believer in buying based on bang for the buck. The national origin of the vehicle never even comes into play.

Companies that measure up to consumers' requirements will succeed. Companies that loaf and take their markets for granted will not. Ultimately, I think the "bailout" of our auto manufacturing sector will be proven to be a complete waste of money. Government bailouts and subsidies are just a band-aid that tranfers your/my wealth to industries that have a proven track record of inept management and waste. But it sure is amazing what you can convince the government to dole (dole being te operative word) out if you spend enough money lobbying politicians.

So there's no need to "defend" anything. Buy what makes sense for you. Companies that can't keep up will eventually fall by the wayside.

Most auto manufacturers are global companies with parts from all over the world.

I just simply shake my head at the ignorance of those who believe otherwise. I don't feel the need to defend the US auto industry, or any other industry for that matter. They are global companies and global players. Have been for many years now.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Most auto manufacturers are global companies with parts from all over the world.

I just simply shake my head at the ignorance of those who believe otherwise. I don't feel the need to defend the US auto industry, or any other industry for that matter. They are global companies and global players. Have been for many years now.

Well Said !

I have been a "Buy American" guy for many years. I bought a new Chrysler mini-van in 1994 and I counted something like 13 countries that made parts on the van. I have gotten to the point that I still would much rather buy an American made product but as far as vehicles go it is impossable. My son just bought a Dodge 5500 truck made in Mexico. I recently sold a Mitsu. Endeavor made in Illinois.

Which is better for our country? An American company producing a car in another country or another country building a car in the U.S.?

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Used cars are the most domestic. Supporting local mechanics supports a large group of technically skilled troubleshooters. Buying new cars supports mostly a bunch of robotic devices.

I like the way you think. The ultimate "domestic" would be a basket case rebuilt by oneself in the garage. C4C was a terrible hit for this "domestic industry".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back