How would you defrost this SUV?

Rent a gas-powered trash pump and flood it with lake water, which is reportedly 37F.

The bright side is it isn't salt water. It's open under the rear bumper so air isn't a problem. It's 45f in Hamburg NY right now and 51 tomorrow. Cars don't know wind chill.

I'd try the local fire station, something different from cats up trees!
"Cars don't feel wind chill" is my point. Wind chill is an effect on skin. If a machine is exposed to wind in a cold temperature it will cool to air temperature faster than if there was no wind but no lower.

I’m glad there are some people who understand
“Wind Chill” and
“Heat Index”.
I hate both terms as it gets many people confused.
The temperature is the temperature.
No “feels like”.
Yeah, but if you are a human outside, then the "feels like" temperature is what you are really interested in. This last weekend at the ski hill, it was -4C on saturday afternoon and -14C on sunday morning. But sunday had the sun out and no wind and it was much more pleasant than -4C with no sun and 20mph winds, high humidity air, and blowing snow...

This time of year, just wait for a warm day
The way to defrost it if warm days are too far away is to build a tent around it (plastic sheetd and tape would work if you can't find a real tent) then channel the output of a kerosene torpedo heater into that tent. If you need AC to run the torpedo heater but don't have access to something nearby you have to run a small generator to provide the AC for the torpedo heater.

"Cars don't feel wind chill" is my point. Wind chill is an effect on skin. If a machine is exposed to wind in a cold temperature it will cool to air temperature faster than if there was no wind but no lower.
Right - but it does remove heat if that’s your weapon of choice …
We have used waterproof heat traced blankets to thaw frozen equipment before …
The blanket both blocks the wind and traps the heat …

Why no wind chill, for the sake of the car or of the person doing the work?
There is no such wind chill. You are not thinking using science. Weather idiots came up with wind chill to say exposed skin feels colder when its windy. Zero effect on cars or metal or anything else. This foolish thinking is everywhere and its sad people stopped thinking.

Right - but it does remove heat if that’s your weapon of choice …
We have used waterproof heat traced blankets to thaw frozen equipment before …
The blanket both blocks the wind and traps the heat …
Yes windchill effect phenomenon will affect the heat transfer.

There is no such wind chill. You are not thinking using science. Weather idiots came up with wind chill to say exposed skin feels colder when its windy. Zero effect on cars or metal or anything else. This foolish thinking is everywhere and its sad people stopped thinking.

It is a scientific phenomenon, your radiator works on that principle. It’s just that the weather people made it into something else that benefits their ratings.

Reactions: 4WD
German_soldier_with_flamethrower_c1941.jpg

If you read my second post I said exactly what you are saying. My first post was to get a response from an earlier poster.

Wind chill is a perceived effect on skin. A machine will only reach the true air temperature. Wind only effects the speed at which the happens.

I have had similar issues in my own driveway after an ice storm. I get buckets of hot water to allow one to get into the car and start it. More buckets to clear the windshield. Once reasonable visibility from the interior is established, just turn the heat on high and drive the vehicle. The interior heat will cause the ice to loosen up. Avoid high speed crowded highways. You don't want a big chunk of ice flying off your vehicle into the windshield of another vehicle.

That SUV can sit there at 0 degree temperature with 50 mph winds all day and it will never go below 0 degrees or feel like it's -30 or whatever.

"The wind chill temperature is how cold people (and animals) feel while outside. Wind chill is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin caused by the combination of wind and cold, according to the National Weather Service."
I accept that wind chill is a weather channel invention, but if it had only been cold, that SUV would not have any ice on it. The wind whipped the lake Erie into the air and coated the thing. So yes it isn't a wind chill situation, but if no wind it wouldn't have been a worthy photo.

I'd run remote start as many times as possible to help release the ice and then carefully chip away the driver door area, so I can enter the car to turn it on and heat it up. Then chip away in sections. What would you do?

View attachment 146150

"This car probably had a beautiful view of Lake Erie on St. Patrick’s Day with temperatures above freezing. The temperature started dropping, and the wind picked up after that. On Saturday, winds gusted to 47 mph, which churned a healthy chop on the lake and a lot of sea spray. "
Heated Tks fluid. That Ice would come right off.

Back