How to use an MBC (Manual Boost Controller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the thing in the mail a long time ago, and want to use it to get the boost up faster. I have a boost gauge, and I am not as concerned about upping the boost as I am about getting it to come in faster. I run 13-14 psi, and it comes in pretty slow, just wondering if the MBC could be used to get a harder hitting spool rather than a roll down the hill spool.

Boost is made from exhaust pressure so unless you're getting the exhaust out quicker I don't see how boost controller can speed things up. I may be wrong and all my experience in Turbo cars is my own 87 Buick Grand National. I have a boost controller, but it is to control boost pressures (mine being set to 18psi for example). It doesn't make full boost any quicker.

I may stand corrected, but that's my thought.

My understanding was that the ball and spring type would keep the wastegate from opening until the preset by the MBC pressure is reached. Instead of slowly opening as boost rises, it would quickly open when the ball in the MBC moves.

Exactly. A boost controller helps speed up boost by not allowing the wastegate to begin to bleed off as it gets closer to the spring setting inside of it. Electronic ones work the best as far as getting the boost to come in faster

I used to drive an Audi 5000 turbo which ran a factory preset maximum of 7 psi boost. I ran a 6 mm diameter hose from the manifold through a low pressure pressure regulator into the vent side of the waste gate. It "fools" the waste gate into opening later. I could dial in the boost I wanted by adjusting the regulator. With a SPST pressure switch and the car's windshield washer pump, windshield washer fluid was sprayed into the manifold starting at 7 psi. The whole set-up cost less than $30. 12 psi made the car much more fun though the risk of blowing the engine was also increased.

Originally Posted By: RH+G
Electronic ones work the best as far as getting the boost to come in faster

From what I've heard, the ball and spring ones will allow faster spool because of their mechanical action, even compared to electronic ones where you can separately control spool.

http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/

Those are supposed to be the the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shaman
My understanding was that the ball and spring type would keep the wastegate from opening until the preset by the MBC pressure is reached. Instead of slowly opening as boost rises, it would quickly open when the ball in the MBC moves.

The one you describe isn't exactly a boost controller but it's very effective at getting the turbo to spool faster, probably the best bang for the buck out there. It blocks the boost signal to the wastegate until the last second and then opens. Instead of opening gradually, it opens all at once. If you get too aggressive you will get a slight overboost spike.

For what it's worth I've been in GNs with the wastegate vented to atmosphere and I could hear the wastegate begin to open 5-6psi before max boost, sometimes sooner. I run a huge external gate with the valve you mention and spool up is unbelievable for the size turbo I'm running.

Other things for better spool would be to open up the intake tract pre-turbo and exhaust downstream of the turbo.

Both the intake and exhaust are amazingly simple. Under the car you can follow the pipe straight back to the fuel tank. Seriously just a straight pipe. The Preturbo intake is the box, then two 45 degree angles to the turbo. Unfortunately, most exhausts I have seen cost upwards of $700, and the sound most of them make makes a fartcan honda sound like an 5.0 with h-pipe and flows. I don't plan on racing, so I figure I will just keep the meth kit tuned up, and the IC sprayer fueled, and be happy with maybe a psi or 2 extra boost. It's a 1999, so there is no JOBD(Japanese equivalent of OBD2), and the tuning choices are again, more than I want to pay to get the extra bit out of it. To make it fast, I could buy a bike and then not have to worry about making it fast.

BuickGN, I need to start the controller fully open, and then screw it in from there right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shaman
Both the intake and exhaust are amazingly simple. Under the car you can follow the pipe straight back to the fuel tank. Seriously just a straight pipe. The Preturbo intake is the box, then two 45 degree angles to the turbo. Unfortunately, most exhausts I have seen cost upwards of $700, and the sound most of them make makes a fartcan honda sound like an 5.0 with h-pipe and flows. I don't plan on racing, so I figure I will just keep the meth kit tuned up, and the IC sprayer fueled, and be happy with maybe a psi or 2 extra boost. It's a 1999, so there is no JOBD(Japanese equivalent of OBD2), and the tuning choices are again, more than I want to pay to get the extra bit out of it. To make it fast, I could buy a bike and then not have to worry about making it fast.

BuickGN, I need to start the controller fully open, and then screw it in from there right?

Yes. You don't want it to control peak boost, you just want it to open right before the wastegate setting. I do it in small increments just to be safe. Basically tighten it until the boost spikes or goes higher than the wastegate setting and then back off a little.

Just to clarify, this is the spring and ball type with an adjustment screw to adjust spring pressure, right?

If this was the bleeder style, a controlled vacuum leak, disregard what I said.

That is the one. a brass T, middle is a bolt with locker on it, and the outside have hose barbs on them,and a spring and ball bearing inside, and little hole opposite the bolt.

MBCs are generally pretty good at not bleeding until you hit desired boost, but if you really* want to control boost response, grab an EBC with gain control. I run a Greddy Profec-B Spec. II which does this.

Originally Posted By: lawdogg
MBCs are generally pretty good at not bleeding until you hit desired boost, but if you really* want to control boost response, grab an EBC with gain control. I run a Greddy Profec-B Spec. II which does this.

Yes, but all this can do is block the signal to the wastegate until the preset boost is reached which his manual valve already does. Quite honestly, the best thing I did was go with an external gate. It improved spoolup by not opening so early and eliminated boost creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back