How to tension serpentine belts (or a better tool?)

RE: manual adjusting of serpentine belts. If you ever see some mid to late 90s Jeeps with the 4.0 engine, pop the hood on it and inspect it. I've got two '96 Cherokees with the 4.0 and the adjustment is manual. Sometimes, depending on the belt manufacturer, it's somewhat trial and error to get it perfect.
Jeep 4.0s are easy to get adjusted right, If you want the belt to stay quiet, just tighten the adjuster until the belt snaps then go 3 more turns. At that point the belt might be tight enough not to squeal

Here's an example of a manual belt tensioner for those that haven't seen one. You can kind of see how it works. Loosen pulley, adjust using the threaded rod, then lock the pulley down is typically how it works. I'm sure there's other designs though.

Attachments

• tens.jpg
    tens.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 15
Your "Krickt" clicky deflection deals " work great when used properly. Make sure that the tool is parallel to the belt and as close to midway (from pulley to pulley) as possible.

Your "Krickt" clicky deflection deals " work great when used properly. Make sure that the tool is parallel to the belt and as close to midway (from pulley to pulley) as possible.

I'll try again
It just seems so tight, I'm afraid of damaging bearings
But it no longer chirps on cold start, and I'm getting 14+ volts for the first time ever, so that's something

Here's an example of a manual belt tensioner for those that haven't seen one. You can kind of see how it works. Loosen pulley, adjust using the threaded rod, then lock the pulley down is typically how it works. I'm sure there's other designs though.

The 4th gen Maxima uses that design

Back