how to tell when shocks are worn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '03 civic with 97k, and i think my shocks might be getting worn out. I frequently go over speed bumps because my apartment complex has many, and they dont seem to handle them as well as they use to. The bumps feel more harsh i guess you could say.

I've heard one way is to try to bounce the car up and down, and if the shocks are still good, the car will come to rest very quickly. Is this true? Any other ways of testing?

The bounce test doesn't work as well these days as before. I don't know exactly why--amount of spring travel, spring rates, etc. Your shocks could be wearing out before you get any indication via the bounce test.

It does sound like your struts or shocks are wearing out. On our Integra, we had the exact same symptoms--harsher ride, less control over bumpy corners. On one of our other cars, it was a bouncy feeling while driving on the freeway.

Speed bumps are very severe on a suspension. there is nothing on the street that hits so hard.
Maybe you are simply loosening up after a few years.
Check for oil leaks on the shock bodies - that's a sure sign of problems.

And stop running over speed bumps at anything higher than a crawl.

See so many people just barrel over them.

Also, don't apply your brakes when going over then, just before them only.

Using your brakes at the same time multiples the force being exerted on the suspension seeing you are leaning the cars weight from the top and have the bump push up from the bottom.

Chances are if you think your shocks are worn out they most likely are. At 97K they are just about gone if they are not already. An increase in harshness over bumps is the reason why I normally replace shocks. Many newer vehicles are gas shocks so they are harder to tell visually VA oil leak if you have a problem.

your shocks are gone. i have a prelude. you cant really really tell unless your shocks are relalyr eally bad. I have a prelude at 100k and i replace my shocks and i felt the world of a difference. i just use koni yellow.
when you drive, you get acclamated to your car shocks wear so its extremely subtle, you;ll think your car is find even when the shocks are out.

again i recommoned koni yellow, adjustaable, lifetime warranty. and... just alittle stiffer than stock at the softest setting but completely worth it and better than stock shocks

1. you dont have shocks, you have struts.

2. when i diagnose shock/sturt problems i first go on a test drive. i make it a point to take the car over speed bumps and dips. if i hear a growling type noise its usually the strut mounts/bearing plates going bad too. then i put the car on a hoist and check out the front and rear suspensions. look at your tires. if it appears there is cupping its most likely the struts. if there is leaking of any kind they are gone.

if you are gonna go through the hassle of installing new sturts, i usually recommend replacing the strut mount/bearing plates and the spring isolators no matter what. it seems that almost every time i do jsut a strut there is a comeback complaining of a noise form the mount.

monroe sells whats called a "quick strut". it is a complete assembly with teh strut, spring, isolators, and mounts. they make install a lot better, since you dont have to compress the spring to replace everything.

They might not really bounce unless they're totally shot, but if you grab a corner (don't push hard on anything that doesn't feel solid!) and get it going with a few good pushes you'll get a feel for their remaining damping ability. Good shocks/struts will require you to use a lot of energy to keep it moving.

quote:

Originally posted by bdcardinal:
1. you dont have shocks, you have struts.

That's not what honda says.

one

two

dunno.gif

Oh yeah, thanks a lot for the replies guys. I really appreciate it
patriot.gif

Honda went to a MacPherson strut design on the Civics in 2001, so it does have struts at least on the front. Picture "two" shows a strut.

A strut certainly is a type of shock absorber, but the term "shock" is reserved for the other type.

I have a 1996 Accord, its getting new rear struts and maybe new front ones. The rear makes noise and bounces more than once after hit a bump....All orginal however...Also getting new brakes and rotors...116K miles.

have fun getting the front rotors off on that 1996 accord JMG. you pretty much have to hammer away with a slide hammer on the fronts for about 30 mins each to get them off. or else you can buy the special tool that i have from MATCO.

I am taking it to the dealer for the service...I figured for the extra cost, its worth my frustration. I was qouted for the job, 332 dollars. It would ahve been 180 in parts, worth the 150 in frustration to me.

definately. i did 1 accord like that and bought the $250 tool to pull the rotors off of them. its not worth my time to sit there and wail away on a slide hammer.

btw i do suspensios and brake work for a living, so spending that amount of money is worth it for me.

Just did that a couple years ago on my corolla (at 120k) and will do so again on my integra (176k) soon. Like other said, the push your bumper down and watch it bounce method is too old and not practical anymore. By the time it keep bouncing you are all over the place. What you feel when you car drive over bump and whether your car lean outward when you corner count a lot more.

Not all struct/shocks die with oil leak, and they degrade "linearly" usually so it doesn't hurt if you replace them when they are very worn but not dead.

Forget about Koni or whatever just because they are lifetime warranty. Every reputable shock company (Bilstein, KYB, Tokico, etc) have lifetime warranty for even the basic one. If you want to mod your suspension or lower it, then that is a different story.

Stay away from Monroe, they are junk and don't last more then 50k. KYB GR2 is the bargain quality shocks/struts out there.

Funny you say that, the local tire place offers only Monroe shocks/struts, and a lifetime warranty on them. And they do recommend changing them ever 50K.

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
I've heard one way is to try to bounce the car up and down, and if the shocks are still good, the car will come to rest very quickly. Is this true? Any other ways of testing?

No need to test 'em at 97k. Your "dampers" are worn out. That's not to say you can't still drive on them safely, and you are likely used to and did not notice their slow decline. But the vehicle will handle more competently, and your tires should perform better and hold up longer, on a new set.

Labor will be a large component of the job cost, and a four wheel strut/shock job (including alignment) can get quite expensive. So any strut/shock warranty, which covers only the part, is not all that important. Spend a little more and buy a premium quality part if you intend to keep the vehicle.

OEM replacements are not always the best pick, but are usually a safe choice. I prefer Bilsteins or Konis if you want dependable long-haul quality. KYBs are good, but don't last as long as those two. I'll put KYBs on cars I intend to flip in a year or two. I don't care for Gabriels or Monroes, but that's only my opinion.

After reading this thread, here's the impression I'm forming of the consensus opinion:
  • Suspension dampers should be replaced routinely on a mileage basis, even in the absence of a perceived performance loss.
  • This is because after enough miles, performance will have suffered but due to its gradual onset the driver won't have noticed.
  • The recommended mileage for this routine replacement of the dampers is not well-defined, or at least opinions vary greatly.
  • Whatever it is, it's under 100,000 miles - possibly well under.

Sound accurate? Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back