How to Service Toro Personnel Pace Transmission?

Has anyone done this? I always grease the wheels regularly with the ZERK fitting on my rear wheels. About once or twice a year, I take wheels off and make sure there is not grass in them.

Does anyone know how to grease the transmission (the metal box)? I'm having trouble finding any information on the internet. I guess because many people do not service theirs'.
It says the transmission is "not serviceable".

Thoughts?
1631885395396.jpg

Are you just trying to be preventative? or noticing something going wrong?

I've replaced a few timemaster transmissions. Never remembered to crack them open.

Are you just trying to be preventative? or noticing something going wrong?

I've replaced a few timemaster transmissions. Never remembered to crack them open.
Just as preventative. This mower is over 10 years, and I have been using it for multiple laws a week for the last few years.

I'm not sure what it's filled with -liquid or grease.
On the worm gear transmission, Toro says to fill with 75w90 differential fluid.
It concerns me if it's filled with grease, that the grease could become dried up.

I've presumed they're sealed and not meant to be serviced. Earlier in the week mine had the belt slip off the engine pulley (not sure how). But it's 13 years old and using the original belt. I figure its stretched some and I plan on repacing it at the end of the season.

Toro specifies #2 white lithium grease. I have successfully used Bentonite grease. Bentonite grease is what Peerless (Tecumseh) used in their transmissions and I had it in my shop.

I would just remove the cover, clean and apply marine grease to the gears.

Recommend Phil Woods.

I would just remove the cover, clean and apply marine grease to the gears.

Recommend Phil Woods.
Ok. I was just worried that it could be gear oil, and I wouldn’t be able to get it back in

Throw the assembly away and get another. Rinse and repeat. I had one of those cursed Personal Pace mowers. The original went out. I bought another and replaced. The very next mowing season, the replacement went out. What a piece of junk. I gave the mower to my neighbor and bought a bullet proof self propelled mower, a Snapper Ninja Commercial.

Throw the assembly away and get another. Rinse and repeat. I had one of those cursed Personal Pace mowers. The original went out. I bought another and replaced. The very next mowing season, the replacement went out. What a piece of junk. I gave the mower to my neighbor and bought a bullet proof self propelled mower, a Snapper Ninja Commercial.
So, I should throw my working transmission away, because you don't like it? Am I just not understanding, or did you not read the post, and just chimed in?

So, I should throw my working transmission away, because you don't like it? Am I just not understanding, or did you not read the post, and just chimed in?
Just as you stated, it’s non-serviceable. If you want to go through the trouble of taking it out and greasing it, have at it. It’s not a pleasurable job. The whole assembly is about $70. If it’s working why bother?

Interesting, do you know why the transmission failed? The only Personal Pace transmissions I've seen fail are on the larger TimeMaster 30" mowers. I will say I've had to adjust quite a few of the cables over time as they loosen and the drive no longer engages correctly.

Interesting, do you know why the transmission failed? The only Personal Pace transmissions I've seen fail are on the larger TimeMaster 30" mowers. I will say I've had to adjust quite a few of the cables over time as they loosen and the drive no longer engages correctly.
I have seen them fail on the cheap 22" steel deck mowers. Mostly bearing failures, but not due to lack of lubrication that I could see. I have never seen any of the 3-speed transmissions fail.

I have no idea. I maintain my equipment really well. The cable was adjusted correctly. The belt was in top shape. $70 and skinned up hands one time was enough. At $70, the transmission is disposable. One more thing, the replacement part was genuine Toro. Snapper just has a better system.

I tried to take the cover off today, and I couldn't get that MF apart. :(

Back