How to sample oil multiple times without draining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Is this possible:

If I add new oil to an engine, how can I sample the oil for an analysis without draining the oil? The question arises if I want to analyze the same oil at let's say:

1000 mi
2000 mi
4000 mi
8000 mi
16000 mi
and so forth

Do I have to suck out oil from the dipstick pipe? And is there a device for doing that?

with the main purpose of finding the "sweet spot".

Lucas

Originally Posted By: LucasDK
Do I have to suck out oil from the dipstick pipe? And is there a device for doing that?

Yes. Blackstone and Amsoil sell little sample pumps.

f6f1c3888753c0adcdc7c5f18846e70f-vacumpump2.jpg

Be aware, that in a few cases you cannot get the tubing for the pump although way down the dipstick tube. My Cummins has this problem.

You can also clean the drain plug area well, loosen the drain plug into a clean container wait a bit, then sample and close it up. Then pour the oil in the container back in the fill hole.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: LucasDK

Yes. Blackstone and Amsoil sell little sample pumps.

f6f1c3888753c0adcdc7c5f18846e70f-vacumpump2.jpg

Cute pump, I want one! How much?

Donald said:
Be aware, that in a few cases you cannot get the tubing for the pump although way down the dipstick tube. My Cummins has this problem.

My Chrysler 300 has that problem.

Umm... Yes please!! That Fumoto valve is something else.

I'd be especially cautious about putting it on any car that sat close to the ground. One of those first links on Google is a warning of my very initial thought. It very well might ruin your oil pan one way or another.

Originally Posted By: grndslm
Umm... Yes please!! That Fumoto valve is something else.

I'd be especially cautious about putting it on any car that sat close to the ground. One of those first links on Google is a warning of my very initial thought. It very well might ruin your oil pan one way or another.

yep further thought about my pan I'll stick with my normal drain plug.
it will protrude under the pan and dangerously close to the ground.

If I hit a high speed bump that thing will shear straight off.
I have a low flat four boxer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back