How to remove hard water deposits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mva

What is the best method or product to remove hard water deposits from sinks and taps?

Please don't say CLR - it does not touch these deposits.

Guys on here just advised me on the using vinegar to get old hard water spots off my truck windows and it worked very well. I would try soaking the sink and stuff in vinegar and then scrub it some.

When necessary I'll soak the shower head in a solution of 50% white vinegar to 50% warm water for 48 hours. That was the recommended procedure from Moen faucet company. I will say it works very well for restoring the spray pattern.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: mva
What is the best method or product to remove hard water deposits from sinks and taps?

Please don't say CLR - it does not touch these deposits.

What does your neighbor use? Sounds like you are on well water and not city water.

Yes, I am on well water. I do have a water softener but these deposits must be from excursions of hardish water. The deposits seem to be occurring where a bit of water is left standing and evaporates - like on the shower enclosure floor.

Vinegar does somewhat work to remove them.

Quote:
Yes, I am on well water. I do have a water softener but these deposits must be from excursions of hardish water. The deposits seem to be occurring where a bit of water is left standing and evaporates - like on the shower enclosure floor.

Sounds like you need to adjust your WS. Like you're running out of soft water. All depends on water hardness and how much water you use.

Fresh CLR ought to work fine. So would 100% vinegar, but it might take longer. Back it up with 0000 steel wool or a very fine synthetic substitute as acid commonly causes steel wool to rust very quickly.

Heat the vinegar up. The acetic acid in it will boil off at temps above 170F. But it works better when hot.

There's hard water and there's hard water. What is in your water? If it's silica, none of the "hard water" products aimed at calcium and magnesium will be effective. Water softeners don't remove silica.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back