How To Remove Cooking Oil From Windshield?

Bet you haven't done this before. Just got myself a Blackstone Griddle. Decided to season it in my garage. Smoke detectors are doing a great
job. Then decided to cook with it in my garage. Had about 10 cooks. Japanese dishes, bacon, smash burgers, etc.

I parked my car outside and left my wife's in the garage. She hasn't driven her GX in 2 weeks. It stayed in the garage on one side and my Blackstone
stayed on the other side. We finally finagled around and got both cars in the garage and pushed the Blackstone griddle up against the wall. All seems
to going great until she went back to work yesterday and drove the GX which had been in the garage with all the Blackstone Griddle cooks.

She said there is this film all over the windshield and even I was able to immediately discern the problem. We have cooking oil, avocado oil, bacon and
sausage grease all over both cars. I went through the car wash twice and we still got a mist of oil on the glass.

My question is this. Is there a best way to remove this oil from my windshield and windshield wipers? Alcohol? Dawn?

dawn.. alcohol doesnt do much with that type of oil.
nice scrub down with dawn then wash and wax it.

My life would be so much easier if I thought more. You know how many times I have changed my oil with no intention of getting any oil on my clothes? Or how many times I don’t make the dogs stay out long enough to pee and poop on a rainy day?

Thinking is a good thing to be utilized more, don’t ya think?

First thing to use is mineral spirits (paint thinner or charcoal starter), and then, stoner window cleaner.

I had some windshields that looked clean, but in rain wipers didn't even help.

I used some Amway glass and metal, and then, Turtle wax detailer spray.

It'll be a long time before I have to do more than use stoner glass cleaner or just touchless car wash.

I'll tell you what situation doesn't work. Trying to wet windshield and get ocean water off. It just dries with more salt.

I learned to just rub with dry paper towel.

Dawn is probably the best suggestion here, but if it were mine I would wipe it with a rag dampened with WD-40 before using dawn or isopropyl.

The lighter oil will break down the heavier stuff and help it be removed.

I would use Dawn Ultra and wipe a thin coating on the windshield. Let it sit for a few minutes, then hose it well.

You can wash the car with the same product. It may or may not remove the sealant or wax protection, but it's a good bet to remove the oil and grease.

Gebo: on a more positive note, tell us how the food turned out!

Have you just tried a decent glass cleaner?

Glass cleaner is generally formulated to cut grease and oil, from what I've seen. For example, HDX Glass Cleaner (Home Depot's store brand) has 2-Butoxyethanol in it. You may have heard of it by it's other name, butyl cellosolve.

Last edited:
My life would be so much easier if I thought more. You know how many times I have changed my oil with no intention of getting any oil on my clothes? Or how many times I don’t make the dogs stay out long enough to pee and poop on a rainy day?

Thinking is a good thing to be utilized more, don’t ya think?
Intelligence and knowledge are two different things. Knowledge is either taught or experienced but intelligence is a gene thing.

Back