How to property adjust car mirrors to avoid blind spots (Video)

It's a sad day when someone needs to watch a video in order how to figure out how to adjust a mirror!

I do it "wrong", I include a little sliver of my side body panels in my side mirrors. This helps reassure me that I'm centered in my seat. I keep mental track of who's where as I see them start to pass me-- if they don't appear beside me when they should I feel uneasy and, sure enough, a shoulder check shows they're camping in the blind spot.

Also, those little convex stick-on mirrors are great. It's a regulatory thing that the driver's outside mirror has to be flat from the factory.

It's a sad day when someone needs to watch a video in order how to figure out how to adjust a mirror!
And new drivers (and to be drivers, and anyone want to double check) today are going to learn how?

I do it "wrong", I include a little sliver of my side body panels in my side mirrors.
Me too. Thing is, I don't sit particularly still, often lean one way or another, like against the door (often) or on the center console. This changes what I see of course, so there is no ideal spot, other than halfway, and change position as necessary.

I still like to swivel my head and check. Old habit that I'm not sure I want to give up.

The times I've tried to adjust "the correct way" I found that I simply didn't use them.

I adjust my mirrors so I see a sliver of the side/rear of the car in both mirrors. Without seeing the little bit of your own vehicle you have no spatial reference point where your mirror is aiming. On my European cars, I have been using factory blindspot mirrors for a very long time. The field of view gets wider towards the outside edge of both external rearview mirrors.

No way to eliminate blind spots.
2 days ago inching back and I assume A police clicked my hitch.
As he told me to stay there., after a few I left and parked. No repercussion.

I use adjustable convex mirrors attached to my regular outside mirrors. They are mounted on the outer edge of the mirrors as shown here and they work very well.

1688519293627.jpeg

Last edited:
Whenever available, I have equipped all my vehicles with European blind spot mirrors which have been standard equipment in European countries for at least 20 years. These mirrors do eliminate the blind spot. The driver-side mirror is either flat or slightly convex for most of its width but becomes more convex toward the outside edge. The change in the field of view/magnification is marked by a line in the glass. If your vehicle is available in Europe, no matter what country of origin or what brand, you can get the Euro mirrors. Some cars come standard with the Euro mirrors from the factory in the US.

If you want this kind of mirror glass, look for Euro mirror glass or for aspherical mirror glass on eBay or on amazon.com. Make sure you buy glass and not plastic mirrors. They usually come in plain without tint or in anti-glare with a blueish tint.

I have marked the more convex outer section with red arrows. This is the driver-side mirror.

Passenger side mirror.

Close-up view of the passenger side mirror glass.

Driving the Mini with the top up I have to rely a lot on my mirrors because I have a massive blind spot on each side and the rearview window is also not very large, especially if I don't remove the the windscreen between the rollbars.

Last edited:
Back