How to get stale cigarette smoke odor out of my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay here goes. My grandmother gave me a 1988 Ford Bronco II in mint condition with 44k on it. But the problem is that for the first 7 or 8 years she owned the car she smoked a pack or two a day. Is there any way to good way to get this lingering odor out? I've tried febrezze and stuff like that and it seems to work to some degree and I think I've gotton some of the odor out, but it still comes back in full force especially during really hot or really cold days. Is there any foolproof way to make it stop?

This is a tough one for guys like you and me to cure. It may be worth going to a reputable detailer for this one. He'll have to take out the big guns...ozone generator.

more info...

The answer is ridiculously simple!!!!

Start smoking!!!!!

Ahem....

Cough.

I read somewhere that leaving a pan of vinegar in the vehicle for a couple days can help. Then, another chap moseyed in and said to use vinegar. Then, another Bubba babbled that both should be used and that all porpus surfaces would need scrubbing with the peoper cleansing agent. THen I mumbled that the hombre should just start smoking and I was run out of town.

Cough.

Try this site and use the search engine, the topic has been covered in-depth:

http://autopia.org/forum/

I was gonna suggest febreeze, but it seems that the smoke is down into the foam of the seats... i'd have it professionally cleaned and just be done with it. In other words I agree with Razl.

offtopic.gif
I like BroncoII's and only 44k... Make sure you change the oil in that thing! Engines in those tend to need rebuilt around 100k(give or take 20k) when not properly maintained. Change the tranny fluid too if you can, they are know to go out as well.

My Bronco II actually has 46,600 on it now. I drive it more than the once a week she did. I'm also doing an auto-rx treatment on the engine and trans so that should clean it up real nice. Then I think I switch to GC or M1. But first I have to get the freaking smoke odor out!

Febreeze or any other fabric cleaner won't do anything if it is just sprayed on whether aeresol or with a spray pump.

I was offered $50 when one of my friends gave up on fabreezing and even trying to mask it with putting a 3 pack of air freshener trees on the rear view mirror. I own a hoover steamvac, I used the stair/upholstry attachment and went over it, afterwards I left the windows cracked to let everything dry and to let lingering smells out, the smell was 90% gone when it was dry and completely unnoticable in a week as the ceiling fabric couldn't be steam vacuumed(febreeze on that a few more times maybe?)

IMO the best way to do it with little or no effort is to leave the windows open all the time for about a week, it will probably only get about 50% of the smell out in the first week though, but it's a start. If you can put a little effort into it and can find a steam vacuum, try using it, just make sure you test for colorfastness, both my car and my friends car were fine, but check this one to be sure.

There is a product called "ERASE" its used in the hospitality industry to get rid of smoke and food odors. Its the best smoke odor eliminator.
There is a aerosol spray call "No Smoke" its made by Zep and its avaliable at home depot for around $4 per can. You might want to try it too. You might have to spray it a couple of times before it gets most of the smoke odor out.

Erase is not avaliable in any of the stores and its for institutional use but you might try any of the websites.

Shampooing the carpet and upholstery will help too.

Goodluck

I think I will try that Erase or No Smoke stuff you guys have been talking about and maybe some meguirs odor elimanator and carpet shampoo. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

I had a Corolla with the same problem.

I took a few newspapers, crumpled each sheet and packed the interior until it could hold no more.

Let it sit for 1 day with the windows closed... when I discarded the newspaper, the smell was gone.

Let us know what finally worked for you!

quote:

Originally posted by Radhe:
There is a product called "ERASE" its used in the hospitality industry to get rid of smoke and food odors. Its the best smoke odor eliminator.
There is a aerosol spray call "No Smoke" its made by Zep and its avaliable at home depot for around $4 per can. You might want to try it too. You might have to spray it a couple of times before it gets most of the smoke odor out.

Erase is not avaliable in any of the stores and its for institutional use but you might try any of the websites.

Shampooing the carpet and upholstery will help too.

Goodluck

Werd. Bissel makes something called the Little Green. It is a mini shampooer and costs about 80 bucks. Combine that with an aggressive Stoner carpet cleaner and most of the smell will be eliminated (as well as any stains). Then lay some Zep.

Hummm, for me bought a bottle of 3M wax remover for interior. Cleaned out my panels and dash real good(excessive amount) with it. It smells like solvent. Rolled up all my windows under a heavy texas heat. annoying solvent smell lasted for two to three days. and right after it was almost gone, went to walmart bought new car scent spray and sprayed around 50 times (NOTICE: don't get into car for a day or so after 50 time spray. Tough smell, makes you kinda high). Viola no smoking smell anymore. oops one more thing clean out your AC drain passages and AC intake as well.

What do you think in the best way to clean out the AC intake and drain? I'm having an odor problem there to it smells like a mixture of stale air and smoke, sort of a mildew smell as well, the AC however works just fine and doesn't smell that bad when it is on, it's mostly when I'm using the vents to draw in fresh air without the A/C on.

quote:

Originally posted by car_junkie_moron:
Hummm, for me bought a bottle of 3M wax remover for interior.

If that's their wax and adhesive remover, you have to be careful with that stuff. It can damage some surfaces, especially if its left on. I always go over it with something else afterwards. It smells like a solvent because it is one.

On A/C: Most dealerships sell strong disinfectant sprays you can use to clean them out, generally stronger than household Lysol sprays. For those with cabin air filters, remove it, if it smells bad or is filthy, plan on replacing it. Don't waste your time cleaning it. You can order those almost anywhere if they don't stock it for your vehicle. Some shops and most dealers also offer A/C cleaning and disinfecting. I can't guarantee they are all the real deal, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back