How to flush coolant in 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine

Created a step by step video for how to do a coolant flush on my 2013 Jeep WK2. It was throwing a P0128 and since I was going to replace the thermostat and spill coolant everywhere anyway, decided drive it had 94K miles that I would do a coolant flush. I recorded the process.

Coolant Flush Video

OEM isn't technically Dexcool, although it is similar. G-05 is fine too as long as you flush all the old, until ~late 2012 they came with G-05 from the factory.

When I looked at the manual, it called for HOAT. When I read the back of Dexcool it said that it was OAT. I always try to follow the manufacturers recommended specs.

When I looked at the manual, it called for HOAT. When I read the back of Dexcool it said that it was OAT. I always try to follow the manufacturers recommended specs.
That's interesting about the OM rec. For 2013, then FCA/Mopar switched to their own proprietary OAT AF (now purple tint), however it 'never' was Dexcool, unlike Dex, Mopar OAT doesn't use 2eha as inhibitor. Been many threads this sub forum on the topic since the 2013 intro confirming that information.

That said, whether Mopar OAT or G-05 HOAT (low silicate OAT/no 2eha) since you did a complete flush of the old, I think it will be fine.

One exception I'd make is the mention of using a 50/50 premix instead of full strength as an alternative. If one is doing a 'distilled flush series' as you did, using full strength AF is the only way to go. Look up/find the system capacity, fill 50%(up to 60%) full strength AF then top with distilled till system filled. Using 50/50 premix will result in less than 50% AF concentration in cooling system. When I've done complete flushes do the same as shown, a distilled flush series.

Thanks for yt tutorial. JGC looks well cared for, the engine bay looks pristine.

One exception I'd make is the mention of using a 50/50 premix instead of full strength as an alternative. If one is doing a 'distilled flush series' as you did, using full strength AF is the only way to go. Look up/find the system capacity, fill 50%(up to 60%) full strength AF then top with distilled till system filled. Using 50/50 premix will result in less than 50% AF concentration in cooling system. When I've done complete flushes do the same as shown, a distilled flush series.

Thanks for yt tutorial. JGC looks well cared for, the engine bay looks pristine.
Good point. I would check the strength of the coolant. There's a good chance if a 50/50 mix after the flush and the block wasn't drained the mix could be a lot more than 50% water.

That's interesting about the OM rec. For 2013, then FCA/Mopar switched to their own proprietary OAT AF (now purple tint), however it 'never' was Dexcool, unlike Dex, Mopar OAT doesn't use 2eha as inhibitor. Been many threads this sub forum on the topic since the 2013 intro confirming that information.

That said, whether Mopar OAT or G-05 HOAT (low silicate OAT/no 2eha) since you did a complete flush of the old, I think it will be fine.

Thanks for yt tutorial. JGC looks well cared for, the engine bay looks pristine

That's a good point and a good catch. I should have mentioned that you should test the fluid in the system with an antifreeze tester after you're done to make sure you have the correct amount of antifreeze in the system. Maybe I'll make another short video showing that and how to burp the system. (Something else I forgot to mention)

Back