How to dispose of contaminated oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch! I'd be trying to see if I could blend it with lamp oil and have a bunch of tiki torches lit every night. Sure it will smoke. So? I'd have it arranged to spell something if viewed from the air.

safetykleen pays us to pick up our oil, the dryer the oil is the more they paythe truck driver does a field test to dtermine the total water content. We have hundreds of Natural gas compressors as well as a fleet of trucks so the used oil does pile up. We have a 200bbl tank that gets periodically emptied.

Last edited:
I had about 60 qts building up and was sondering what to do. check for a recycling center. i was headed to walmart since the 5 qt just they sell tell you to bring it back but i stopped at the county dump and the woman said they have a tank for oil.. i went around back and they let me dump it into the tank that they use for the county's road dept trucks' oil. I have also taken it to AZ and depending on who is working, they just tell me to take it in the back and dump it. just go in looking for something, and if there is a girl working there, just say hey can i dump this used oil---the other guy said it was ok. they shouldn't care after all i think they SELL the used oil to companies that try to clean it up and use in waste oil heaters or something. if you can siphon off any oil or into a new container, do that and the sludge, just dispose of in the trash. or consolidate all of the water/sludge into one container, and when nobody is looking, dump it in the oil recycling tank....they can;t complain when you are trying to be responsible and not dumping it on the ground.

You either have to pour it into a container with a valve at the bottom like someone said, Or find a way to constantly mix/agitate the oil & water so that the water has a chance to be at the surface where it can evaporate. (A device similar to a kitchen blender is what I'm thinking of.)

Otherwise mix a little of the oil with ethanol and gas and burn it in your car or lawn mower or boat or whatever.

200 bucks? If you can't find a place to take it for free, I'd have to agree with those who mentioned burning it, if possible. Better than dumping it in the ground.

IT came from the ground, but it back in the ground. There is natural oil seeping from the ocean floor off the coast of California, supposedly huge amounts, but can we drill there, not on your life, continue to send our dollars to the middle east.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back