How to derust without risk of hydrogen embrittlement?

Hi,

I need to derust a few small parts from a mechanical fuel injection pump. The parts comprise springs, hardened parts, high strength steel. With what method can they be derusted without the risk of hydrogen embrittlement?

Lucas

Hi,

I need to derust a few small parts from a mechanical fuel injection pump. The parts comprise springs, hardened parts, high strength steel. With what method can they be derusted without the risk of hydrogen embrittlement?

Lucas
Ultrasonic?

Maybe Trav will answer. He probably knows.

Hi,

Lucas

Do you have a picture of the rusted parts.

@LucasDK a picture or two would help. What makes you concerned about hydrogen embrittlement? Typically with fasteners when you change the coating and introduce heat to cure the coating is when I have seen HE introduced.

I would try some WD40 and some agitation to see if you can get rust off. An ultrasonic cleaner also works well.

Just my $0.02

Do you have a picture of the rusted parts.
I have not tried to clean them manually yet. These are precision machined parts and it really needs a gentle mechanical removal if any.

44844113aw.jpg

44844114iz.jpg

Lucas

I have not tried to clean them manually yet. These are precision machined parts and it really needs a gentle mechanical removal if any.

44844113aw.jpg

44844114iz.jpg

Lucas
I’d use some motor oil and scotch brite to clean that up. Wash them with some brake cleaner after to clean them and coat with RP if you don’t reassemble and use the pump right away.

Just my $0.02

Thanks for all your replies. There was a much easier solution. I removed the "rust" with ethanol based on a post in a different forum.
Background: The pump has been resting on a shelf for 3 years and the rust coloration is actually degraded bio diesel (in Europe there is 7% bio diesel at the pump) which has gummed up over the years and turned into a sticky, brown substance. Apparently this gummed up bio diesel is not dissolved by acetone and gasoline (however I did not try), but is easily dissolved by ethanol. The dissolving is not 100% but needs a little mechanical help from a small brush.

Back