how to correctly check the oil level?

so i got this pressure washer which is a 212cc engine. iv attached pics, reading up people say you check the oil level by not threading in the dipstick and just placing it in the hole and pull out and check oil level. iv been screwing it all the way in then taking it out to check oil. have i been doing it wrong?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 50
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 51
Yes those directions are confusing. Some brands/models say to do it one way, and others the other way. I suppose the way to find out would be. to drain all the oil out, then refill with the proper amount, and see where it comes on the dipstick with the different methods.

I emailed manufacturer and got reply back saying to thread the dipstick all the way back in then unscrew it out to check the oil level. So looks like i been doing it correctly.

You can check it this way as well: Make sure the machine is level, I use a small bubble level on the side of the deck, or eyeball it. Then remove the dipstick and look at the oil. If it is visible at the bottom threads of the area where the fill cap screws into you're good to go. Too high up and it will spill out. I recall servicing machines that don't have an actual dipstick, and are checked the way I described.

Usually Honda, Honda clones, and Kawasaki are checked with the dipstick just resting on the threads, not screwed in. Briggs and Tecumseh levels are checked with the dipstick screwed back in first.

L8R,
Matt

Back