How to clean oily film off windshield?

Hey guys, I've got this oily film on my windshield that's really apparent when running the wipers in the rain. I cleaned the glass with Stoner's glass cleaner and while this helped considerably, there's still some haze left. I'm thinking about trying an alcohol wipe down next to hopefully cut through whatever gunk this is.

What do you guys recommend? Driving in the rain today was not fun.
White vinegar.

Rubbing alcohol a couple of times followed by
Hey guys, I've got this oily film on my windshield that's really apparent when running the wipers in the rain. I cleaned the glass with Stoner's glass cleaner and while this helped considerably, there's still some haze left. I'm thinking about trying an alcohol wipe down next to hopefully cut through whatever gunk this is.

What do you guys recommend? Driving in the rain today was not fun.

Rubbing alcohol applied a couple of times with a clean cotton cloth followed by Stoners.

Do you use Windex on the outside of the windshield or frequent car washes?

Wow, a lot of great suggestions ITT. Will go outside some point this weekend and report back on the results.

Thanks, as always, fellas!

Hot, strong detergent solution and a blue scotch brite sponge. The blue are available in the cleaning section of any grocery/etc store. Do not use a green or dark brown (more abrasive) scotch brite, those can scratch glass especially when new.

UPDATE: So, I tried a few approaches. Each step lessened the oily film considerably but it still hasn't completely gone away:

1) Vigorous scrubbing with hot water + dish soap.

2) "Deep cleaned" glass using IPA, glass cleaner, clay bar & Griot's Glass Polish.

3) New wiper blades (old ones were getting tired anyway).

4) Gas station squeegee. Luckily, I found a newer station where the squeegees weren't beat to hell and the cleaning solution was actually sudsy!

5) Added P21S Washer Fluid Booster (supposed to help with road film).

I'd say it's 80% improved now. There is still a ghosting effect on the passenger side but overall I could see a lot better the few rainy nights I went for a drive. Going to leave it alone and hope it naturally breaks down over time. It's also getting colder and I don't care to stand around outside (no garage) anymore and dirty up extra microfiber towels messing with the glass.

Back