How to clean a sticky dashboard and rubber

This is going to apply to my motorcycle with a better fairing on it but it also would apply to a car dashboard Truck dashboard I have a Windjammer fairing made by Vetter and the edge trim is a rubbery type of product with a chrome insert and after sitting out in the sun for some time the rubber part of it or hard plastic so s it's sticky I've tried carb cleaner Dawn dishwashing detergent and nothing seems to remove it tried Goo Gone WD-40 and it's still sticky to the touch any suggestions I appreciate your comments

No success yet with wha productst I have access to

TOMB

I've had similar situations with certain plastics and rubbers. Do the materials feel like they've gotten soft/squishy? If so, it's not just a film you can remove. The material itself has broken down. Something incompatible could have gotten on it, or just being exposed to the elements too long.

It sound like Japanese car sticky dashboard fiasco that plagued some models in the mid 2000 years. Some claim this with remove it or at least make it dry. I have no idea but it seems cheap enough to give it a go.

Some early first generation Kia Soils have an issue with the dashboard getting sticky over time and some people have said that using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser then sealing it (with some type of spray wax/sealer) helps. I have not tried it yet on my sticky 2011 Soul, so I don’t know if it actually works or not.

It sound like Japanese car sticky dashboard fiasco that plagued some models in the mid 2000 years. Some claim this with remove it or at least make it dry. I have no idea but it seems cheap enough to give it a go.

Yep. I experienced it on a 2008 Outback - the dash felt like the sticky part of a Post-It note. Fortunately was able to get it replaced via a recall campaign.

Considering what you've already tried, in case it's silicone rubber breakdown, I'd rub some dielectric grease on, let it sit an hour, then vigorously wipe off with a dry paper towel, though as someone already mentioned, if it is the material itself breaking down, not a grime layer deposited onto it, long term it may need replaced.

It sound like Japanese car sticky dashboard fiasco that plagued some models in the mid 2000 years.
Yep. I experienced it on a 2008 Outback - the dash felt like the sticky part of a Post-It note. Fortunately was able to get it replaced via a recall campaign.

Yes, I believe both of these are accurate.
Unfortunately, the condition is caused by UV degradation of the base material.
The only likely long term solution is to replace the effected component.

Yes, I believe both of these are accurate.
Unfortunately, the condition is caused by UV degradation of the base material.
The only likely long term solution is to replace the effected component.

Seeing as the dash in my car is over $600 and a bigger job to swap I elected to use a dash cover, it looks okay and prevents further damage. Mine was not bad, no cracks.

Common on the C5 Corvette airbag covers. Solutions I have most faith in are using goo-gone and strong rubbing alcohol. They are both temporary fixes.

This is going to apply to my motorcycle with a better fairing on it but it also would apply to a car dashboard Truck dashboard I have a Windjammer fairing made by Vetter and the edge trim is a rubbery type of product with a chrome insert and after sitting out in the sun for some time the rubber part of it or hard plastic so s it's sticky I've tried carb cleaner Dawn dishwashing detergent and nothing seems to remove it tried Goo Gone WD-40 and it's still sticky to the touch any suggestions I appreciate your comments

No success yet with wha productst I have access to

TOMB
I had Weathertech floor mats that got really sticky to the touch. It would come off on your hands. I called Weathertech and they had me give them the lot number and then sent me a free replacement. I had a Tivoli radio that got very sticky so I called them and they gave me a big discount on a new one. I had some buttons on an 08 Mercedes that became sticky. To get rid of it, you had to take off the whole finish.

Back