How to address this rust around keyhole?

keyhole_.JPG

I'm going to remove the lock cylinder and sand or wire wheel off the flaking paint and rust. Then brush touch-up with matching paint. Just not sure how it will look on such a large area. No I'm not taking it to a body shop to repaint the whole hatch. Thinking of adding a round or square piece of plastic trim surrounding the hole. Back in the 90's they sold stick-on plastic protectors with the Ford logo to cover scratches from your key chain when unlocking the door. Do they still make those or anything similar.

I do think I have seen those protector things you are referring to in the parts store.

Maybe some of that automotive vinyl that is used to wrap commercial vehicles, or a BITOG bumper sticker.

Remove the lock, address the rust and refinish. Spot paint and use one of those protectors to cover up the repair the best you can. It won't be perfect but anything beats rust.

I suspect as you sand it you’ll find more and the damage will get wider and wider.

Youre probably in for at least some finishing putty and spray paint, if not a blending paint job for the hatch…

hand brushed I’m not sure you can even do… with what, a little bottle of touch up paint?

Is that diamond white or star white? Metallic? 3 stage?

If it is not a solid your best bet is to put a big life is good smily face (or sunflower) and make one of the eyeballs (or center) the key cylinder... or depending on your market maybe a punisher decal... any thing else short of actual for real painting is going to be at least as obvious...

I suspect as you sand it you’ll find more and the damage will get wider and wider.

Youre probably in for at least some finishing putty and spray paint, if not a blending paint job for the hatch…

hand brushed I’m not sure you can even do… with what, a little bottle of touch up paint?

This. Rust was a fairly common problem around key locks in the old days. I would not be surprised if you discover more damage once the mechanism comes out.

You'll get a better feel for what you're working with once you go through the work of removing the lock cylinder.

I've had good luck with paint over rust products like rust bullet and POR-15. Assuming this is a flip vehicle, clean the area up, coat it with a paint over rust product and find a black trim piece that sticks on with 3M tape put a hole in it for the keyhole if you have to?

If you want the best, search up some of Trav's posts with his suggestions on products and methods.

Wire wheeled the spot back to solid paint, but the wheel just burnishes the rust. Maybe put some POR15 on it before touch-up?

IMG_0887.JPG

Found the old style lock hole protectors but they won't cover this.

unnamed.jpg

Back