How to add Moly ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hitzy
Just throwing it out there, but what about the super fine moly used to tumble coat bullets for reloading?

I had a conversation yesterday with a tech person at Rosmill Industries who sells Moly about tumbling bullets and we chatted about adding Moly to engine oil. He said different companies use varying amounts, and mentioned Redline as being one that uses a lot more compared to other companies. This guy seemed to know cars, engines, and oils. We had a nice chat. He adds 1 tablespoon to a 7 qt sump in his car.

Anyway here is what he had to say on this topic: According to Rosemill it would work if added to engine oil. A small amount can be blended into the oil with a high speed mixer, the suggested amount is about 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon depending on sump size and how much you want to add.

I also asked about Tungsten Disulfide, he said it was better for high heat applications than Moly, but Moly is lighter in weight and stays in suspension better, and is also cheaper, and more widely used. But both products would work.

The trick to adding it is use of a high speed mixer/blender. Pour off a small amount of oil and blend it so it forms a vortex, and add the Moly, blending it into the oil.

He said their super fine Moly would not get trapped in the filter if properly blended into the oil. Just thought I'd toss that out there for anyone who is interested.

So there are definately benefits of adding Moly additves such as the Lubro Moly ? Its seems to be the additive that wont go away, first it was like the 2nd Coming, then went way again, talked down, but is it making a comeback, or have these people just not posted yet ? Would adding in interfere with the engine oils performance ? eg. anti wear etc Zinc.

Remember I spoke with a company that produces and sells the stuff, so it could be said they're bias toward the product. What I found impressive was this man I spoke with was really into cars, oils etc, and knew what he was talking about.

What impressed me was he mentioned Mobil 1 and Redline, and said there were different schools of thought on just how much to use. He stated that Redline really loads their oils up with it, and it did have added benefits in his opinion. He could have just as easily pushed WS2 aka Tungsten disulfide which costs a lot more, but felt Moly was better because it was lighter and that's why its added to engine oil.

Like anything else, opinions vary, and many people feel the oil companies got it right. He said used in the 1 teaspoon - 1 table spoon amount it wouldn't harm or off balance the oil in anyway, and would enhance it. As with anything too much is never a good thing.

Lubromoly would be close to this i think as its suspended in a mineral oil. Like with any additive you always worry about its effect on the oil. Bearings is one of the main areas u seek to protect with Moly, at the same time doesn't it attack the copper liners/components in the engine ? I've used Moly additive before, even have a can on Lubro Moly sitting on the shelf somewhere, but stopped using it after reading a lil on here, instead going for oils that already contained some.

All in all, Moly and Boron have the best anti-wear additive theory behind them that makes you just wanna use the stuff.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Lubromoly would be close to this i think as its suspended in a mineral oil. Like with any additive you always worry about its effect on the oil. Bearings is one of the main areas u seek to protect with Moly, at the same time doesn't it attack the copper liners/components in the engine ? I've used Moly additive before, even have a can on Lubro Moly sitting on the shelf somewhere, but stopped using it after reading a lil on here, instead going for oils that already contained some.

All in all, Moly and Boron have the best anti-wear additive theory behind them that makes you just wanna use the stuff.

I've been in some form of sales pretty much my whole life. If I wasn't selling customers on my business I was selling something else. This guy I spoke with was honest and up front. I touched upon corrosion, clogging filters etc, all non issues when the product is used as he stated. He went into filter construction, and how different media can vary from lot to lot even with the same brand filter, and that variation can effect rated efficiency. He explained the benefits of Moly, but was not a hard sell.

When I told him I used TD to coat bullets, he said it was a better choice than Moly (for bullets), and could be used in my engine if I wanted to add it. TD is more costly BTW. He said Moly was the better choice, but use up the TD. w/o fear. He didn't care one way or another if I bought another thing from him. He was a car nut like us, stated all the pluses, and said the key was not to over do it, and mix it well. They also make specialty lubes for companies.

He stated the Tungsten Disulfide would be used the same way and in the same quantities as the Moly. However it is heavier and might settle out of supsension where as the Moly was the better choice. TD holds up to heat and pressure better than Moly, and is a better lube. But in automotive applications Moly was the better choice, because it is lighter stays in suspension better, and will handle automotive heat just fine. Tungsten Disulfide was the better choice for coating bullets, which was what I bought it for anyway.

I guess the automotive industry knew or they'd be using more TD in oils, than Moly.

MoS2 Leichtlauf 10 W-40

The MoS2 anti-friction lubricant forms a high load-bearing film of lubricant on all friction and sliding surfaces. The MoS2-lubricant film reduces the resistance to friction and allows engines to run -- so they conserve more energy even under extreme conditions. MoS2 Energy Conserving guarantees: significantly less fuel and oil consumption. Significant wear reduction, fewer breakdowns and emergency lubrication properties. Stable to ageing and stable viscosity. Good cold-start behaviour and high operational reliability. Prevents sludge formation. Tested on catalytic converters and turbochargers.
article number: 1091
bundle content: 1 l
palette content: 576
packing unit: 12 STK
language: D - GB - I - E - P
Intended use
Year-round oil for petrol and Diesel engines with extra wear protection.
Clearing

ACEA A3-98/B3-98 ; API SJ/CF/SH/CF/EC

LIQUI MOLY advise this product for vehicles with the following specifications: Special development of Liqui Moly Company

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Lubro Moly. Been using it for years. I add it to RTS 5-40 in my F250's 5.4 Triton. Available by order at any NAPA, or this link..http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/lubromoly-motor-oil-treatment_60872.html
038605.jpg

NAPA huh?? how much?

I stocked up a while back. Very reasonable at 4.50 a can.

Originally Posted By: daman
Lubro Moly. Been using it for years. I add it to RTS 5-40 in my F250's 5.4 Triton. Available by order at any NAPA, or this link..http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/lubromoly-motor-oil-treatment_60872.html
038605.jpg

NAPA huh?? how much?

I stocked up a while back. Very reasonable at 4.50 a can.

Yea not bad,have a part number by chance???

I thought there already was a long discussion of MoS2, and the oil chemist from one of the big companies said they tried it but it's no good. Is there any actual evidence this stuff actually does anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back