How tight is too tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by RD400:
(abbreviated.....)They always get tighter with use and I've never had a filter leak in 30 yrs.

RD400, that's pretty much how it was for most of my 3 decades of motoring. But 1 1/2 years ago, I had a filter that actually got looser with use. After that experience, I used the funny looking oil filter ratchet driver to tighten all my filters a smidgen more than hand-tight. Does not seem to have done any harm.

quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
Maybe that's why sex is so popular, it's centrally located.
cheers.gif

True, but it nevertheless begs the question why a recreational area was intentionally located adjacent to a waste management site. There had to have been a civil engineer involved...

Why use dirty oil from the drain pan to lube the gasket? Don't you pre fill the filter with fresh oil to prevent oil starvation the first few seconds you start it up? If not your doing as good a job as good as jiffylube. I always look over a new filter then wipe the threads with a clean rag, and almost always find fine metal particles left over from the thread cutting process, then fill the filter with clean oil using that to lube the threads and gasket, make sure the previous filter gasket is not stuck to the filter mount, and the mount is wiped clean then install the new filter. I also tighten tighter that exact instructions, I've seen them leak before. Been doing this about 30 years.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
How tight is too tight?

When the gasket is so deformed it looks like RTV oozing out the side, it's too tight. Bring out the chisel! I've had to remove a filter put on that tight by a quick-lube-type place.

I do mine almost as tight as I can get them with one hand. I can usually get them off by hand, but it definitely takes some effort. I usually just use a filter wrench to remove them.

quote:

Originally posted by another Todd:
Why use dirty oil from the drain pan to lube the gasket? Don't you pre fill the filter with fresh oil to prevent oil starvation the first few seconds you start it up? If not your doing as good a job as good as jiffylube. I always look over a new filter then wipe the threads with a clean rag, and almost always find fine metal particles left over from the thread cutting process, then fill the filter with clean oil using that to lube the threads and gasket, make sure the previous filter gasket is not stuck to the filter mount, and the mount is wiped clean then install the new filter. I also tighten tighter that exact instructions, I've seen them leak before. Been doing this about 30 years.

Of course some filters are mounted in such a position as to prohibit pre-filling. When I once had such a car, I typically made use of the used oil too. But I agree with you, if you pre-fill you might as well use the new oil.

"Oil change should be done HOT!"

Maybe so, but, I wait until it cools off a bit. I'll take a possible hit in the longivity of an engine rather than risk severe burns.

Weaksauce. That's why you grab it with newspaper.

Somewhat off-topic, am I the only one who changes coolant when its HOT?

I read the whole thread, and I just don't see the fear of having to use a filter wrench to remove the filter?

Is it a macho thing? Don't want to spend the $2.78 for a filter tool?

Follow the directions on the filter and you can't go wrong.........Unless you're afraid of the big, bad filter tool.
rolleyes.gif

Darryl

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:

Somewhat off-topic, am I the only one who changes coolant when its HOT?

Why would you do that? Personally, i would never change the coolant when hot.

If your cooling system has some sediment or buildup, when the fluid is hot, any sediment or buildup will drain out much easier. Often, when the coolant is cool, this **** may be hard to remove.
dunno.gif

Grab it like a co....! errr I just use a torque wrench for 12 lbs. Never had a problem with leaks. My brother-in-law's BMW filter cartridge uses 12 lbs as well.

Both me and my father like to change oil ourseleves and my father had done so for decades and one day he found himself in the mood to use the wrench that was supposed to unscrew the filter out to tighten the filter after he had hand-tightened it, and guess what, he actually ripped apart the filter and now he had half a ripped-opened filter tightly screwed to the car and the other half on the driveway. What a brilliant job. He later had to find mechanic friend who brought all these tools to remove it for him. After this incident, I only hand-tighten an oil filter 1/2 to 1 revolution after it gets tight. Using a wrench is just unthinkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back