How tight does the oil filter have to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find oil filters are increasingly placed on cars so that you have to use a cap wrench. The days of using a strap wrench (or your hand) are slowly disappearing.

Quote:

Quote:

Hand tighten as hard as you can, PERIOD. Don't ever use a wrench of any kind to put it on.

And I don't mean, once it's pretty ---- tight with your hands, get in there and then crank with every ounce of your soul, hand tighten it till it's tight!

It ain't rocket science.

This works well as stated above..
approved.gif

Yeah no kidding . . . and good thing this isn't rocket science. Do you think they have these debates at NASA. Way does the Marine Corps have Q&A people hovering over us kids, back in the day, on critical points of assembly on aircraft. Why do A&P mechanics have to sign away their lives most everyday on aircraft? Yes Aircraft oil filter have safety wire on them for a reason and torque specs. Depending on location on some cars hand tightening can get you 3/4 of a turn after gasket contact. There maybe weaker and arthritic folks here who don't have the same hand strength as they did when they where 25 - 35. My wife is never going to get the filter to turn much more past 1/4 or so. When I regularly worked as and A&P mechanic I could turn a filter 3/4 to a full turn or so by hand. Now I need strap wrench to get it to turn the last 1/4 or so. Some times a filter is located in such a spot that you must use a tool due to mechanic disadvantage.

Now I know why there is so much controversy in life on all topics. Can't we all just follow the instruction and be done with it already. I'm a little surprised this thread has gone on this long. Sheez
spankme.gif
deadhorse.gif

rugerman.gif
approved.gif

I had a stuck filter today. Actually broke my filter wrench and had to go buy a new one.
This is the one I bought, and it worked great because I was able to use it with a socket wrench to get some torque:
417CErsPJ8L._AA280_.jpg

Lisle tools 63500 Big Range Filter Wrench

Quote:

"Now I know why there is so much controversy in life on all topics."

It's called OCD, Skunky. It's not controversy, it's a sickness, or more "human resources dept." correct... a condition.

Or, if you see the glass half full, it's called innovation.....engineering a solution for a difficult situation (SOME FILTERS ARE AMAZINGLINGLY DIFFICULT TO TIGHTEN BECAUSE OF POOR ACCESS).

Sometimes I find that a rubber glove with a bit of spit to make it more grippy is just enough on a difficult to access filter to loosen or tighten it.

The professional mechanics must be laughing their back ends off reading this thread!

Hand tight - on and off by hand. # of leaks = 0

If I can't get a good grip due to oily hands, a little bit of sandpaper is all that's needed (learned that trick on BITOG). Only time a wrench is needed is when a family member's car was taken to quickie lube last.

Thanks for the help, I feel kind of assured. Well I drove my car for 50 miles, seems like there is no leaking. But I seriously doubt it's anywhere near 3/4 turn tight. I have no idea where it's at. If there are no leaks, is that tight enough for the next 2500 miles (auto rx cleaning)? You guys think I'll be okay? I'm never doing oil change on this car lol.

Quote:

Quote:

"Now I know why there is so much controversy in life on all topics."

It's called OCD, Skunky. It's not controversy, it's a sickness, or more "human resources dept." correct... a condition.

Or, if you see the glass half full, it's called innovation.....engineering a solution for a difficult situation (SOME FILTERS ARE AMAZINGLINGLY DIFFICULT TO TIGHTEN BECAUSE OF POOR ACCESS).

Sometimes I find that a rubber glove with a bit of spit to make it more grippy is just enough on a difficult to access filter to loosen or tighten it.

The professional mechanics must be laughing their back ends off reading this thread!

Yo my man..I was quoting the "Crusader"...a couple of post above mine....now back to my
popcorn.gif

Quote:

If I can't get a good grip due to oily hands, a little bit of sandpaper is all that's needed (learned that trick on BITOG). Only time a wrench is needed is when a family member's car was taken to quickie lube last.

that's why i love those AAP filters....has the grip-py stuff on it.

Drew,

That's how I've always done it, and I've never had a problem.
Everyone should remember, also, that the filter gasket will absorb aromatics and swell, making the filter seal more tightly with use. I think this is the reason that I often need to use a wrench of some kind to loosen a filter that I used nothing more than my hand to install.

Quote:

..Everyone should remember, also, that the filter gasket will absorb aromatics and swell, making the filter seal more tightly with use...

Good point .. for this reason some years back instead of lubing the gasket with oil I started removing the O-ring gasket and coating both surfaces with a little Parker Super O-Lube or silicone grease... Filters always come off with out a problem with a metal strap wrench .. I also tighten one full turn.

smile.gif

Quote:

I always mark the filter before I put it on with a grease pencil or permanent marker that actually shows up. Take note of the mark on the filter upon gasket contact. Make mental note of it.

They should put timing marks on these filters.
laugh.gif

If sandpaper is not available, use a leather work glove...it provides additional grip friction...I loosen the hot oil filter with the gloved hand. I wear the leather glove for snugging the new oil filter as well.

On the assembly line, it's very likely that they start the filter by hand and run in on with an air ratchet.
Since the engine will get moved around and pushed, shoved, hoisted up and down, and fiddled with by the time it's put in the frame, a little tight may be a good thing from their point of view.

Quote:

popcorn2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back