How the outside world views motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a non automobile bulletin board, I asked a general question about peoples opinions of synthetic motor oil. Here is one response:

"they used to be abismal but they've improved. However, everyone I know adds "slick 50", "greased lightning", or some other non-graphite additive to synth oil."

You picked the dumbest auto-minded person on the board.

Just your luck...lol
wink.gif
wink.gif

Its interesting to get a perspective from non-experts on some topics. To be fair, the main focus of the board is another enthusiast hobby, and the guy probably does know a good bit about that.

There were several recommendations for Slick 50.

It's also interesting how the outside world (especially outside the U.S.) views thicker versus thinner oils.

It's not uncommon at all to see OEM recommendations in the 40 and 50 weight ranges for warm climates.

I'm the only one in Bolivia that sells anything thinner than a 10W-40 ( I have 5W-30, 5W-40, 5W-50)

of all the bulk oils we do the most common is
5/30
then
10/30
then
15/40
then
5/20
then
10/40
then
20/50
then

bruce

Many 'outsiders' belive whatever they've been told by parents, grease monkeys, etc. I was that way prior to becoming enlightened by BITOG.

Most people like the AZ manager probably were right at one time. When you get into middle age, you've had many experiences and use them in your critical view of everything. You may have had an evolution where you had a focus on tires when you owned a Euro car when you were young that, more or less, cast your opinion of certain brands of tires. If you got out of the trade or the Euro distraction ..you keeping up on evolution with tires may get stale and next thing you know ..between kids and whatnot ..20+ years has expired ..and so has your cast in stone critical view in regard to tires. What you were an expert on then ..you're an idiot about now.

It's the same (probably) with oil and any number of things.

quote:

Most people like the AZ manager probably were right at one time. When you get into middle age, you've had many experiences and use them in your critical view of everything. You may have had an evolution where you had a focus on tires when you owned a Euro car when you were young that, more or less, cast your opinion of certain brands of tires. If you got out of the trade or the Euro distraction ..you keeping up on evolution with tires may get stale and next thing you know ..between kids and whatnot ..20+ years has expired ..and so has your cast in stone critical view in regard to tires. What you were an expert on then ..you're an idiot about now.

It's the same (probably) with oil and any number of things.

very true

My first experience with Synthetic was air conditioning turbines on A6 Intruders in the Navy in 1977. It was like a miracle. Clear, thin, almost like water, and yet it protected the bearing bosses and bearings themselves on up to 100,000RPM at hundreds of degrees and hundreds of hours before it had to be changed out. A miracle to me in that day and age. But it was Mobil under some MilSpec or another.

Soon as they came out with it for cars, I never used anything else as it was so superior to the standard class 1 oils of the time. Now, I understand the conventionals are real close.

Ah, progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back