How specific do oil recommendations get?

LDB

I just got a 2022 Ford Escape SE FWD 1.5L Eco-Boost. The manual says 5W20 synthetic blend and 0W20 full synthetic and both only mention Motorcraft oil. Obviously they're going to recommend their brand. But are all 5W20's created equal provided they are SP rated (the current best rating??) or is brand X better than all other brands? And if so, which brand is brand X? And the same question for oil filter. Is there a "best" for a 1.5L turbo engine?

You'll be fine with any oil filter, whether it the Supertech st3614, Fram ph3614, or Motorcraft fl910s, with as often as you should change the oil on a small displacement turbo motor, I wouldn't bother with expensive filters. Don't try oversized filters, If I remember right the 1.5L comes with a stubby filter from the factory and there's barely enough room to clear the radiator shroud with the fl910 sized filter. Any full syn 5W20 or 0W20 will serve you well, technically any oil that meets SP should be fine but there should be a specific ford approval you use, but Ford approvals are pretty much just the current API/ILSAC that they've rebranded, for a small displacement turbo engine, I'd look for an oil with GM Dexos1G3 approval that's based on ILSAC GF-6A with more stringent requirements in the areas most important in small displacement TGDI engine.

Reading the manual it only recommends Motocraft motor oil.

We recommend Motorcraft motor oil for your vehicle. If Motorcraft oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.

Buy whatever synthetic motor oil makes you happy.

I just got a 2022 Ford Escape SE FWD 1.5L Eco-Boost. The manual says 5W20 synthetic blend and 0W20 full synthetic and both only mention Motorcraft oil. Obviously they're going to recommend their brand. But are all 5W20's created equal provided they are SP rated (the current best rating??) or is brand X better than all other brands? And if so, which brand is brand X? And the same question for oil filter. Is there a "best" for a 1.5L turbo engine?
1659317835787.jpg

Looks like the 0W-xx is only for improved cold temperature performance.

Anything that meets the specs that Ford publishes in the viscosity recommended is good. The cost of synthetic (if you are changing yourself) is within a dollar or two on most oil changes. Any of the majors are good (Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, Penzoil, QS) and there are some good store brand products also (Supertech, Kirkland). Don't spend too much time spun up on the brand.

I don't know about 1.5 Ecoboost engine. But the 1.0 Ecoboost needs the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specifications here in Europe because of cam belt in oil bath. The United States has a different specification that i don't remember what is unfortunately. If wrong oil is used here the the cam belt can go a lot sooner. Same is for the oil pump belt that goes in the oil in 1.0 EcoBoost engine. The later 1.0 EcoBoost engines has timing chain but still have oil pump belt that goes in the oil. I hope you get some definite answers there 😊

When servicing my Nephew's 2022 Escape with the 1.5L I just make sure I grab oil with Ford Specification 960-A1 or 962-A1 like @The Critic shows above.

I doubt in Texas temperatures you'll need the 0w20 for easier starting. I've been using Castrol Magnatec 5w20 form my stash, but have Mobil 1 5W20 and Quaker State Full Synthetic on the shelf which all meet the 960-A1 spec.

No, just on the south side of Houston. We get a major blizzard maybe once a decade, otherwise pretty balmy. Our last blizzard, about 5-6 years ago.

blizzard.jpg

The difference in starting performance between a 0W and a 5W winter rating will only be significant below about -30°.
Yeah, maybe those poor folks on the north side of Houston, but our blizzards aren't quite that severe on the south side. :)

View attachment 110643
Looks like the 0W-xx is only for improved cold temperature performance.

I read a little too fast last time i post. I think The Critic has the best answer from the Ford's manual 🙂

Like kevperro says above, you must use an oil that meets the required specification to maintain the warranty. Brand does not matter. For what it's worth, I understand 0w20 oils are always full syn but 5w20 can be syn blends, at least that's how things are right now. If this matters to you, you might look into it some more. Also most vehicles have very clear specs for the oil but no specs for the oil filter -- I guess any filter will do?? This is very interesting to me, especially for vehicles that allow extended oil service intervals for "normal service."

Like kevperro says above, you must use an oil that meets the required specification to maintain the warranty. Brand does not matter. For what it's worth, I understand 0w20 oils are always full syn but 5w20 can be syn blends, at least that's how things are right now. If this matters to you, you might look into it some more. Also most vehicles have very clear specs for the oil but no specs for the oil filter -- I guess any filter will do?? This is very interesting to me, especially for vehicles that allow extended oil service intervals for "normal service."
There are a handful of semi synths available. Here’s one of them:

5w-30 Mobil 1 extended performance. i use it in everything, even vehicles labeled 0w-16

(Some one will say M1 0w-40 FS in 3,2,1...)

Back