How soon should I use synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi (5.7 liter). Am taking it in for its first oil change with about 3500 miles on it. Engine has been broken in correctly and i've got several runs up and down a 5000 ft peak hauling 1000 lbs of bikes.

My question is, is it too early to run synthetic? I prefer to use Mobile 1. I'm guessing 10w30 or 10w40 for running here in Socal (40 to 110 degrees ambient).

Rich

Ummm...if you have a 1/2 ton Hemi, you apparently have to use 5w20 or 0w20 in order to now mess with the MDS.

My '08 with 4.7L (no MDS) loves German Castrol, seemingly better than M1 0w20 and PP 5w20.

It has to be a 5w20 and there is nothing to GUESS at.Its stated ONLY a 5w20 to maintain the warranty/proper fuction of the MDS. Requires 6 month 6k oil changes.Any quality oil that meets secs for that engine will do that distance with out issues.

Last edited:
It's never too early. I dumped the factory fill on my hemi about a week after I bought it. I've been using Mobil1 and recently switched over to Motorcraft synthetic blend...both in 5W-20. Agree with the others about not using 40wt oil. The MDS system will definitely not work properly if you thicken up the oil.

Welcome to the hemi party.

Originally Posted By: rmillersbs
I have a 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi (5.7 liter). Am taking it in for its first oil change with about 3500 miles on it. Engine has been broken in correctly and i've got several runs up and down a 5000 ft peak hauling 1000 lbs of bikes.

My question is, is it too early to run synthetic? I prefer to use Mobile 1. I'm guessing 10w30 or 10w40 for running here in Socal (40 to 110 degrees ambient).

Rich

welcome2.gif

Welcome to BITOG. You can make the switch to synthetic oil at anytime. Use either a 0W20 or a 5W20 in that engine, you'll have no problems.

Originally Posted By: rmillersbs

Rich

Nice truck even if site unseen.

Stay with a 20 weight oil. Your MDS system requires it for proper operation. No need for a 0W based on your temps so stick with the 5W-20 unless you will get a tuner and disable MDS. If so you could sneak up to 5W-30 or 10W-30 max. I would personally avoid 40W oils.

Your 5.7L in the 1500 calls for a 20 weight as stated. You also need to use an oil that meets/exceeds Chrysler MS6395 and that is certified to carry the API Starburst symbol. You will have to change it either by the Oil Life Monitor OR 6 months/6000. Those are the 4 things that matter in regards to your warranty.

Swap it over now or when ever you want. The HEMI engine loves synthetic. Here are some oils that are good choices, come in 5W-20, and that meet all of your warranty sppecification needs...

Kendall GT1/76 Lubricants Full Synthetics( same oil )
Penzoil Platinum
Valvoline Synpower
QuakerState Ultimate Durability( formerly Horsepower )
Amsoil XL
Mobil 1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Ummm...if you have a 1/2 ton Hemi, you apparently have to use 5w20 or 0w20 in order to now mess with the MDS.

My '08 with 4.7L (no MDS) loves German Castrol, seemingly better than M1 0w20 and PP 5w20.

These wts. seem too lite for your engine and where you drive. I would go with M1 5-30 EP.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
When did Chrysler start to use the MDS? Is it used on any of their V6 vans?

Found my own answer on Chrysler web. Came out in 2004 and only on the big Hemi V8. I was curious as my son in law used heavier than 5W-20 in two V6 Chrysler vans with no problems.

The XW20's and XW30's that are on the shelf are so close to the same grade that it don't really matter which one you choose to use.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
When did Chrysler start to use the MDS? Is it used on any of their V6 vans?

2006 for the Ram and Durango.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker

What is this German Castrol I'm seeing? Where do you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back