how screwed am I here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you will be fine. Are you confident the bump stop will prevent it from occuring again? If so you are all set, otherwise id consider rolling your fenders..i have run into the same issue my back tires scraped the sidewall like yours..it shredded the tire like yours..just not as deep but still when i load up the trunk or go camping it happens. I was thinking of rolling the fenders..but havent yet. Im running 225 45 17..oe is 185 65 15. Hoping your bumpstops fix it. Im actually wondering if that might be a low cost solution for me without having to roll the fenders..as id rather not roll them. Im running stock suspension so im not even that low..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I think you will be fine. Are you confident the bump stop will prevent it from occuring again? If so you are all set, otherwise id consider rolling your fenders..i have run into the same issue my back tires scraped the sidewall like yours..it shredded the tire like yours..just not as deep but still when i load up the trunk or go camping it happens. I was thinking of rolling the fenders..but havent yet. Im running 225 45 17..oe is 185 65 15. Hoping your bumpstops fix it. Im actually wondering if that might be a low cost solution for me without having to roll the fenders..as id rather not roll them. Im running stock suspension so im not even that low..

Im pretty confident the bump stops will prevent it from coming even close to the actual part of the fender that sliced it, the inside edge of the fender is actually rolled up and in, so the tire would have had to have gone way up there to actually get cut. Considering that at least an inch or more was cut from the OEM stop, im pretty sure the replacement will prevent it from getting even anywhere near that. Not to mention this has only occurred twice since I installed the springs, both times the back end of the car was loaded, either people or something heavy in the trunk. I was just more concerned with the integrity of the tire in general, according to what ive read that section of the tire is the 'shoulder" not the actual sidewall, and there should have been at least a half inch of rubber before the cords would have been exposed, 1/8th of an inch shouldnt hurt it unless its actually making contact with the pavement, which it isnt at -1.4 camber. But im going to keep a close eye on it anyway with my monthly inspections of the car.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Yikes, that's a tough call! I'd be inclined to say that it's OK, but it would be nice if CapriRacer offered an opinion.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

First, the cause of the problem needs to be fixed.

Second, so long as no cords are exposed, you should be OK.

Third, the car can NOT EVER be allowed to bottom out again. That could cause more damage that might go THROUGH the tire.

You got lucky this time. Don't try to stretch your luck.

CapriRacer has spoken!

My own take, I'd run it, and keep an eye on it, of course.

Tires scrape curbs, they account for that a little in design.

The curb bumper is down by the rim flange though, and you don't have much of one there. When there, it's there to protect both tire and rim.

If you "dispose" of this tire, someone with less morals than you will resell this tire or mount it on their own car, and be out in traffic, possibly next to you. Run it until you're weirded out. I'd even move it up front after a few months just to burn through it faster and get it out of there.

I wouldn't trust the bump stops to prevent it again, at some point you'll have a load or hit a dip with a pothole in it at speed and the tire will get up into wheel well again.

From what I can tell by the pictures, the damage done to the tires is cosmetic. If it were me, I would not even worry about it. However, it is you, and it is your car, so if it is going to give you an ulcer worrying about it, get the tire replaced. That's the only way to be sure it won't fail prematurely.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Yikes, that's a tough call! I'd be inclined to say that it's OK, but it would be nice if CapriRacer offered an opinion.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

First, the cause of the problem needs to be fixed.

Second, so long as no cords are exposed, you should be OK.

Third, the car can NOT EVER be allowed to bottom out again. That could cause more damage that might go THROUGH the tire.

You got lucky this time. Don't try to stretch your luck.

thanks for the info

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Did you replace the shocks also? Are the springs stiffer than what came off?

Nope, didnt need to, checked the rear shocks to make sure they functioned properly, worked like brand new even with 130k on them. They actually rebound better than the brand new monroe's i had originally bought, wound up sending the monroe's back. These are canuck motorsports springs, are they stiffer? Eh...they dont feel like it, but the nature of the spring design differs from the linear springs which the car came with.

I'd replace it. I'd also paint those rotor hats if I was using up sized, wide open wheels.

I'd keep it on the RR - least stressed position. Just monitor it and be careful if going around hi speed left hand turns. Give up a minor luxury (Starbucks?) and piggy bank the savings for an eventual replacement. Go slower with passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back