how rumors start...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a guy come in the shop on a rant about Amsoil. He said they denied his claim for an engine failure and that Amsoil was junk and the company a bunch of pirates. I asked him to bring in all his paper work and anything he had records for. His vehicle was a GMC truck with a Duramax diesel. He is correct. Amsoil denied the claim. What he forgot to mention was that GMC put a new engine in his vehicle under the warranty. He is still convinced that Amsoil screwed him. No matter what we said to him, we could not convince him that Amsoil was not to blame and that it was an OEM defect. He left still thinking that Amsoil is the bad guy and I'll bet that others will hear his story and believe him.

I actually had a conversation just yesterday with a friend of mine about how much in this world is about feeling good rather than doing the right thing or having the right information. It's amazing how often and how readily people will confuse impression and fact, or emotionality and logic.

Wait, so he wanted a new engine from Amsoil and not from GM under warranty? Thats what he was upset about?

That's how some people are. Engine fails for whatever OEM reason. Filled with XYZ oil. Failure must be XYZ oil caused. With some people's reasoning skills, you must wonder who they work for and how they get through life.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
With some people's reasoning skills, you must wonder who they work for and how they get through life.

Exactly. When I used to be a commercial parts manager I had customers bring in dealer receipts they expected me to reimburse them for. After they left in a huff I always looked to see if they had driven themselves there and said a quick prayer for anyone else on the road with them.

Originally Posted By: BarkerMan
We had a guy come in the shop on a rant about Amsoil. He said they denied his claim for an engine failure and that Amsoil was junk and the company a bunch of pirates. I asked him to bring in all his paper work and anything he had records for. His vehicle was a GMC truck with a Duramax diesel. He is correct. Amsoil denied the claim. What he forgot to mention was that GMC put a new engine in his vehicle under the warranty. He is still convinced that Amsoil screwed him. No matter what we said to him, we could not convince him that Amsoil was not to blame and that it was an OEM defect. He left still thinking that Amsoil is the bad guy and I'll bet that others will hear his story and believe him.

Just speculating here

So if the engine fails due to 5 gallons of diesel in the crankcase (common on early DMAX)is it amsoils fault their lubricant couldn't tolerate being diluted that much?

He was being rhetorical.
wink.gif

Hmmm...I was just looking into Amsoil during my lunch today and was curious as to the lawsuits aganist Amsoil listed in the federal PACER system.

Then I looked at BBB and really didnt see many red flags...individual dealers were not "BBB Accredited business" but mostly, evrything on BBB says they are OK to deal with.

Originally Posted By: c3po
I have 355K on my car using Amsoil, wonder if I should call Amsoil and complain.

Call Pablo directly
banana2.gif

The story started in the shop mentioned by BarkerMan.
The rumor is now developing, even on BITOG.
Rumors need a place to live.
And THANK YOU
thankyou2.gif
RI_RS4 for the link to the FSM website.
It made my day.
thumbsup2.gif

"Wait, so he wanted a new engine from Amsoil and not from GM under warranty? Thats what he was upset about? "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, he wanted to collect from both.

Our friend came back this afternoon and accepted the idea that everyone else was correct and his conclusion was a knee-jerk reaction. He said we were the first ones to listen and ask questions and then tell him he was completely wrong. I guess if you get hit on the head enough times you finally get the message straight. His other friends that told him Amsoil was junk could not answer any of his new questions about lubrication. He has now become the lubrication expert among his peers. Imagine that!

I'll bet his first message spread around more then the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back