How reliable is Toyota KDSS?

Within the 4Runner line, the KDSS system is an option for the TRD Off-Road models, but NOT the Pro. Unusual. The TRD Pro has Fox Shocks but no KDSS. KDSS is hydraulic based. My research suggests it is reliable, but when it is not, it is expensive to fix. (about $4k to replace). Has anyone had any experience with it? Dan Edmunds chose to go with the KDSS, and he is a suspension expert.

Those that have it, love it. The issue you can run into is when you attempt to lift it, which can be problematic. However, the on and off-road handling is greatly improved with the KDSS system.

someone just posted an article with a deep dive into the KDSS. seems impressive. but no lifting more than 2"

Generally the accepted lift limit is 3". So if you want a lift beyond 3", you'd probably be better off not getting KDSS.

Of course there are aftermarket parts which are specific to modifying KDSS, too.

Last edited:
Is the system reliable though? It appears to be.
Are the brake systems on modern cars and trucks reliable?

Similar to the brake systems on today’s vehicles, this is a hydraulic system that also incorporates electronic components.

It‘s not that complex of a system.

Are the brake systems on modern cars and trucks reliable?

Similar to the brake systems on today’s vehicles, this is a hydraulic system that also incorporates electronic components.

It‘s not that complex of a system.

Although rare, it can leak and cost $4k + to fix, for an option that is only $1,300.

Where are you getting that $4000 figure?
A few on the 4Runner site. However, one that failed was due to the compartment that houses some type of control unit and it got corroded from dirt/salt getting built up in it. So some have said routine cleaning of that prevents this from happening.

A few on the 4Runner site. However, one that failed was due to the compartment that houses some type of control unit and it got corroded from dirt/salt getting built up in it. So some have said routine cleaning of that prevents this from happening.
That sounds high to me. That control unit is not 4 grand. Sounds like they got taken advantage of if they paid 4 grand for that to be replaced.

That second link just leaves me sad at the state of society. A distinct lack of personal responsibility with some people.

EVERY Owners manual I've ever owned stated the importance of thoroughly cleaning the vehicle, when it is used in a highly corrosive environment.

Clearly the guy who had salt packed in around components until the salt corroded through and caused a leak, failed to use common sense and clean the vehicle. Or at the very least read his owners manual.

Blaming Toyota for having "traps" that collect salt, mud, etc. is just stupid. Every vehicle has spots were salt, mud, etc can accumulate and cause corrosion.

A case of owner neglect causing a problem, isn't an inherent problem with the system.

OK, from reading a few posts, sounds like there’s a protective guard around that component, and it got filled with road debris and salt because the person was in Pennsylvania.

I’d be interested to see the breakdown of cost on that repair. As I said, it sounds like he absolutely got his rear end handed to him by that dealership.

Definitely a couple of lessons here:

1. Rinse the underside of your vehicles very well, especially after driving in salt.

2. Caveat Emptor. Shop around for EVERYTHING. ESPECIALLY when getting a quote for a repair on ANYTHING.

Just because a quote is from an actual dealership doesn’t mean it’s going to be the same estimate from every dealership.

Had the X-REAS system on my wife's 4Runner (bought new). In less than 100,000 miles the system was garbage. Looking at the various 4Runner forums-it was most cost effective to dump the system and go for a more conventional one. I don't know how much this has in common with the old system. Rather than deal with this-just got rid of it.

Had the X-REAS system on my wife's 4Runner (bought new). In less than 100,000 miles the system was garbage. Looking at the various 4Runner forums-it was most cost effective to dump the system and go for a more conventional one. I don't know how much this has in common with the old system. Rather than deal with this-just got rid of it.

X-REAS has no relation to KDSS. Two entirely different systems.

OK, from reading a few posts, sounds like there’s a protective guard around that component, and it got filled with road debris and salt because the person was in Pennsylvania.

I’d be interested to see the breakdown of cost on that repair. As I said, it sounds like he absolutely got his rear end handed to him by that dealership.

Definitely a couple of lessons here:

1. Rinse the underside of your vehicles very well, especially after driving in salt.

2. Caveat Emptor. Shop around for EVERYTHING. ESPECIALLY when getting a quote for a repair on ANYTHING.

Just because a quote is from an actual dealership doesn’t mean it’s going to be the same estimate from every dealership.

I agree. I really don't think it is much of an issue. You have to look hard to find people that have had issues with it.

What model year was it ?

What model year was it ?
Can't remember exactly-but it was about10 years ago. The thing is-that the exterior is still pretty much the same, except for the front grill and tail lights.

And those rock hard front seats HAVE NEVER CHANGED. I rented one that was almost brand new about a year ago.

Can't remember exactly-but it was about10 years ago. The thing is-that the exterior is still pretty much the same, except for the front grill and tail lights.

And those rock hard front seats HAVE NEVER CHANGED. I rented one that was almost brand new about a year ago.
Man, we love the seats on our new 4Runner!

Always hated soft, squishy seats that some vehicles have (primarily domestics) that have zero support.

Man, we love the seats on our new 4Runner!

Always hated soft, squishy seats that some vehicles have (primarily domestics) that have zero support.

Yep. The seats are just one of the things we like about our 4Runner. The seats in the SUV the wife mainly drives, are even firmer, but even more comfortable and supportive.

I see it as a marketing gimmick. I wouldn't even consider it.

How reliable are those hydraulic suspensions used by certain makes?

Greatly improved handling? for what? If you want to run corners, get a Miata.

If I needed off road flexibility, I'd disconnect or remove the sway bars. And, most of my cars received poly swaybar bushings for an improvement over the stock squishy rubber bushing. I also like stiffer sway bars in some of my previous cars.

Other than the poly bushings, I have no need or want for a tech nightmare.

Back