How often to change oil @ only 3K/Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2002 Chevy Avalanche (5.3L V8) regularly,but don't put a lot of miles on it.It gets out about 2-3 times EVERY week,but for about 60 miles total weekly.Is once a year for oil and filter about right?I use Penzoil dino.I think synth would be a waste.Any suggestions?Thanks!

Hi,

I have a Silverado with a 4.8l (same engine - shorter stroke) and average a little more miles per year.

Your in a warmer part of the USA and it looks like your trips are more than 10 miles each way, I'd say your prob safe.

If it was me, I'd prob change it every 6-9 mo just to be safe.

I do tons of under 3 miles trips
rolleyes.gif
and change out my oil every 4-6mo. My UOAs do show more lead than I wish but thats short trips for you. The UOAs still show little wear.

Pennzoil Dino is EXCELLENT for this engine (I've done UOAs with Pennzoil dino and Mobil 1 doing the same trips and OCI and the Pennzoil was better.
cheers.gif

My Mom has a 2002 Silverado (same engine) and her truck sees 3-4k per year. We change it out every 6 months.

When does your OLM go off? If it's not going off in a year, again your prob safe.

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Your probally going to get a variety of different opinions on yearly oil changes. I have a '99 F150 with 4.6l V8 that I drive about 3000 miles a year.

I do a yearly oil change with a full synthetic motor oil. I will be using Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 for my next oil change in mid July.

I have followed this schedule for about five years without any problems at all.

Im sure it depends a lot on how long you drive when you fire it up those 2-3 times a week. Mine reaches normal operating temps but I probally do not drive far enough as I should to allow the oil to. My opinion is if your going to do yearly OCI use a synthetic.

For such short trips I would recommend a "full synthetic" (Group III at minimum) such as U.S. Castrol or Wal-Mart Super Tech, there are others as well, if you are wanting to do one change a year. I would recommend 6 month oil changes with petroleum oil though.

Synthetic will not be a waste, especially if in cold/hot climates, but for the price, I would recommend getting some Super Tech Full Synthetic from Wal-Mart, in Georgia it is about $14 for a 5 quart jug and about $3 a quart seperately. I'd recommend getting a Pure One filter as well.

If it were me, I'd go to six months, do a UOA, and see what it says. Just one analysis (roughly $20-25), with maybe another in a couple years to confirm things are on track, will give you a much better idea of what is safe for your vehicle in the environment in which you keep it. Your issues, if any, will probably arise from the oil rarely getting hot enough to boil off contaminants. At what point their accumulation becomes critical in your case is something only a UOA can tell you.
cheers.gif

Not to make this a poll, but I'd follow ekpolk's advice to the letter, using the cheapest API SM oil I could find that meets your manual's viscosity specs.

With proper care a vehicle like this can last 300,000 miles. Since you are only putting 3,000 per year on it, this would equate to 100 years of your use. Since I doublt you will exceede the life of this vehicle, it comes down to your mental model of vehicular ownership.

You could take the tact that this is a good enough vehicle to see you through the rest of you life. In this case I recommend dino 5W-30 at 6 months.

Or you could take the tack that you will be bored with this vehicle after 10 (more) years or so. In this case I recomment 5W-30 dino at 1 year.

I have a 1992 Ford Club Wagon that only gets
used during the summer and than through
Deer Season. It get put away the 2nd week of
December and doesn't com back out until April
I put about 3000 miles a year and change the
oil right before I put it away and agin in
August. I use Havoline 10W-40 with a Purolator
Pure One Filter and the motor stays nice and
clean and have never had a problem

As long as you are using a good Group II based motor oil, 1 year/3k miles should be a piece of cake. Pennzoil (Purebase) = Grp II.

I think these Grp II base stocks change everything compared to the old Grp I oils. With ~ 3-4x the oxygen stability of Grp I, they represent a huge jump in oil quality. With the 20-30% aromatics of Grp I’s breaking down quickly into sludge, it was probably a good idea to drain them fairly frequently and every 3-4K miles or about 6 months.

quote:

chevron

The inherent oxidation stability advantage that Group II stocks have for passing these tests is apparent in today’s engine oils. For example, Cummins and Chevron found that some commercially available engine oils consistently passed the MRV TP-1 after a 400-hour double-length Cummins M-11 test while others failed1 Subsequent analysis showed that the oils that passed were formulated with Group II. The oils that failed were formulated with Group I. A more recent study showed that Group I formulated oils stayed in grade only about a third as long as Group II (125 hours for Group I vs 400 hours for Group II) in heavy-duty engine oils formulated with the same non-optimized general offering package.

If an old Grp I oil can reasonably make it 3000 miles, a Grp II based oil should make it to double that -- 6000 easy. I also think because of their inherent oxygen stability, you can leave them in the crankcase for much longer drain intervals.

I do drive a 20 mile round trip weekly,so the oil gets hot at least once a week.I have a Fumoto valve,so I may change the oil twice a year and the filter once a year with a lube.That way it needs to get on ramps only once/year.How good is the Super Tech synth?Thanks for all the replies!

quote:

How good is the Super Tech synth?Thanks for all the replies!

It's good oil.

If it was me, I'd go Halovine 5w-30 or 10w-30 every 6 months and also a Supertech filter. I've cut open a few of the new Ecores and I like what i'm seeing.

I've got my Moms Truck on that now and it's been the best combo yet. Under $14 for the whole oci.

I'm running Chevron 5w-30 right now and it's doing great. My last 5 tanks have all been over 21mpg and last one was 22.85!

These 4.8/5.3 engines like pretty well anything. I've run quite a few oils in mine and my Moms and any SM and you are good to go.

We have Sure drains on all of our outfits and makes life much easier! I'm sure your valve does the same.
cheers.gif

The Supertech syn is good oil BTW. I'd just go the other..
tongue.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

So are most of the $2.00ish/qt dinos group II now?Is there much difference between TA,Havoline,Pennzoil,etc?I used to use 5W30 Chevron,but can't find it anymore.

"So are most of the $2.00ish/qt dinos group II now?"

From what I’ve read, all 5w/10w-30’s PCMO’s in Canada/US that are the latest SM/GF-4 spec's should be Grp II’s.

"It gets out about 2-3 times EVERY week,but for about 60 miles total weekly"
----------------------------------------------------------

Good Lord! Do you know how much money I would save on gas with this amount of driving!

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
Toyota says every 6 months

confused.gif

And the subject is a Chevy Truck.

They state to go by the Oil Life Monitor or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back