How Often To Change Brake Fluid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it neccesary to change brake fluid and how often should it be done ?
Lastly if you were to pay to have this done what is the range you would expect to pay ?

Brake fluid absorbs moisture which will effect your braking. Changing it is simple anyway.

because brake fluid absorbs moisture, and moisture rots (rusts) brake lines, brake calipers, and wheel cylinders. and every 2 years sounds good

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
Brake fluid absorbs moisture which will effect your braking. Changing it is simple anyway.

lol Not if you live in Michigan where every frickin break bleeder screw is seized and either doenst turn or breaks off
smile.gif

Gotta love winters in Michigan with all the salt and other [censored] you have to drive through.

I have yet to do this on my 2008 xB... Simple job I assume. Maybe I will do it when I swap out my summer tires for my winter ones.

VW says to flush it every two years. They also require DOT 4.
Are there any printed requirements for DOT 3 users out there?
I was curious if the time requirement was based on the spec.

$75 - $90 has been my cost experience as well.

I have found it most convienient to change it when I do brake pads. That works out to be about every 4-5 years for us and how much we drive. I just did the front pads on both Toyotas, and changed the fluid in both when I did the pads. Since the OEM fluid was opaque/yellow colored, I used the blue fluid from ATE which makes it very easy to see when the new fluid is coming out.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: BigBuck

lol Not if you live in Michigan where every frickin break bleeder screw is seized and either doenst turn or breaks off
smile.gif

Gotta love winters in Michigan with all the salt and other [censored] you have to drive through.

That might be one reason they recommend changing every couple years. Might prevent seizing of those bleeders, never thought of it that way before.

Thanks for the replies - a few additional comments :

1) Anti - Lock Disc Brakes are more complex , perhaps changing the fluid every two years is wise maintenance and will prevent rust.
2 ) Buick dealer told me GM uses a "closed" brake system so moisture isn't a problem , brake fluid should be replenished but doesn't need to be bled and replaced . Does this sound correct ?

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
That might be one reason they recommend changing every couple years. Might prevent seizing of those bleeders, never thought of it that way before.

What you have to remember is that 97% of all drivers have never touched anything on their vehicle, and usually the only time something like a bleeder is cracked open is because their brakes are so bad, and calipers are frozen, and they finally had to bring it into a shop lol

Show me an *owners manual* (not a dealer/shop service schedule) that calls for 2yr/24k miles brake flush. Isn't it always just a top off/check during the normal scheduled maintenance?

Brake bleeding is one of those things that seems highly likely to result in negative effects when DIY'd for me. Pedal feel gets worse, bleeder screw breaks off, etc.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Show me an *owners manual* (not a dealer/shop service schedule) that calls for 2yr/24k miles brake flush. Isn't it always just a top off/check during the normal scheduled maintenance?

http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2012-Volvo-Maintenance-Schedule.pdf

2 years or 60KM (37K mi).

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/E10303/E10303O00210A.pdf

every 3 years regardless of mileage.

My Ford, OTOH, has no recommendation for brake fluid. Volvo spec Dot4, so that's probably part of the 2-year thing, but Honda is Dot3 and still on 3 year intervals. I've basically stuck to the 2-3 year thing on my Ford depending on how lazy I am about it.

JOD : Helpful information , most owners manuals don't mention such a topic as how often brake fluid should be changed .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
1) Anti - Lock Disc Brakes are more complex , perhaps changing the fluid every two years is wise maintenance and will prevent rust.

Some GMs require that the new fluid be flushed through the ABS pump by 'cycling' it with the Tech 2 device, although I've seen some shops "cheat", and accomplish this by simply turning the ignition key on and off during a brake system complete flush.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

What you have to remember is that 97% of all drivers have never touched anything on their vehicle, and usually the only time something like a bleeder is cracked open is because their brakes are so bad, and calipers are frozen, and they finally had to bring it into a shop lol

Good point. Lot of DIY for brakes never mention lube on the caliper pins.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
... Buick dealer told me GM uses a "closed" brake system so moisture isn't a problem, brake fluid should be replenished but doesn't need to be bled and replaced . Does this sound correct?

No, they are not closed system in the sense that moisture can't get to the fluid. There are seals at every wheel that allows for movement and separates the brake fluid from the environment. Unfortunately, this only minimizes the contact between brake fluid and the environment, but does not completely eliminate it. It is at these seals where fluid contamination is the greastest. That's why I butter the bore surfaces with silicone grease, to exclude the environment from reaching the fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back