How often to change anti-freeze/coolant????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my oil and it got me thinking. It's been almost 3 years and 25,000 mile (I don't drive much) since I last changed my coolant. I have a 2000 Honda civic and I know to use Honda fluids. My question is it a good idea to change my coolant before winter?? Thanks

Every 3 years or 100k.

I personally strongly disagree, and recommend every 2 years or 50k miles.

Almost all the engines I see die are due to cooling neglect, electrolysis on the water pump and then it's over. A death you cannot see until it's over.

I also hate seeing engines die because someone won't spend $1.50 on distilled water. Cavitation and rust due to oxygen bubbles, killing the water pump impeller and then, again, it's over.

If it's Honda long life / extended life or dexcool, then change every 5 years. If it's regular old school green coolant, then change every 2 -3 years.

Honda Type 2 coolant comes with a 10 year, 120K mile recommendation for the initial change and 5 years, 60K mile after the first. There's no need to do a complete flush, and since it only comes as a premix it's not really possible. Mostly what you're looking to do is replace the corrosion inhibitor package.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
If it's Honda long life / extended life or dexcool, then change every 5 years. If it's regular old school green coolant, then change every 2 -3 years.
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Honda Type 2 coolant comes with a 10 year, 120K mile recommendation for the initial change and 5 years, 60K mile after the first. There's no need to do a complete flush, and since it only comes as a premix it's not really possible. Mostly what you're looking to do is replace the corrosion inhibitor package.

+1....BITOG'ers have a tendency to change everything (oil, filters, ATF and coolant)way to soon....which waste $$$, and resources.

You probably get out not much more than half in a drain/refill.

So I tend to go 4-5 years or thereabouts on FF, and 2 on every drain refill thereafter...note not Honda fluids, and not Honda.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I follow the manufactures recomendation unless it looks bad. Why toss good stuff? Ed

because in the long run you save money.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

+1....BITOG'ers have a tendency to change everything (oil, filters, ATF and coolant)way to soon....which waste $$$, and resources.

oil yes, other things like trans fluid and coolant, no.

I have a '99 S10. Never changed the coolant in 191K. Runs like a champ. The body, on the other hand, is falling apart in my driveway....

Originally Posted By: stevejones
I have a '99 S10. Never changed the coolant in 191K. Runs like a champ. The body, on the other hand, is falling apart in my driveway....

Interesting since most need new intake gaskets before that many miles. We converted our S-10's to the green stuff that they ran prior to 1996 Dexcool invention.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
I follow the manufactures recomendation unless it looks bad. Why toss good stuff? Ed

How so? The main issue with coolant maintenance is letting it go too long to the point where the corrosion inhibitors are completely depleted. Way too frequent changes are a waste. A coolant change doesn't make it cool better unless the water concentration is increased. It merely replenishes the corrosion inhibitor package.

I understand the issues with silicated coolant gelling due to time, but Honda Type 2 is not silicated.

every 2 years. I just do trans oil one year and coolant the next.
very cheap insurance

Changing new long life coolants out much more frequently than recommended in a healthy and well maintained system to save money is false economy. You'll spend more in coolant and time than you get out of it or save in repairs. This of course is barring fluke failures, which cannot be attributed to cooling system neglect.

Now, if you have a faulty radiator cap, leaking hoses, coolers (oil intrusion) or have mixed other coolants in, then you need to address the problem and get that stuff out early.

Fresh coolant no only cools, but lubes the seals of the water pump...well worth $10/year ($30/3 years) for a simple drain and fill.

Last edited:
Corrosion inhibitors are one thing and can be tested for. So no need to waste coolant on that front.

But how about particles of whatever junk gets created in the system? Could this damage anything in the cooling system even if the corrosion inhibitors are adequate?

It's got me wondering about my Mercedes with it's 15 year coolant.

The best way to remove any particles in the cooling system is to install a coolant filter. I installed one in my truck. I spliced into the heater supply hose.

Corrosion inhibitors cannot be tested for without sending a sample to a lab. Rather than go through that expense I change out the Dexcool every 4 to 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back