How often should you "test" your cellphone?

The dealer service department where I took a car for a recall, calls me back on my landline saying the shuttle driver sent to pick me up, couldn't reach me on my cellphone. He had to knock on my door to say he was here because he said I didn't answer my cellphone. Later in the day I look into it, and sure enough, when I call my phone with the landline, it goes right to voicemail. And I cant make an outgoing call either. Soon as I hit dial, the phone says, call ended. WTH? How long has this been going on? I don't recall getting any calls for over a week now that I think about it, and I haven't made any calls either. Lucky I wasn't somewhere where I actually needed to make a call. After turning the phone off and on again I got it working, but how often do people test their phones by calling it from another number?

Test my phone? Never.

Reboot my phone periodically, regularly.

On that note, it's been a while, *reboots phone*

A phone is just a computer in a different case, it needs to reboot periodically. There's a reason why the IT groups first question when dealing with computer/phone problems is have you reboot today?

All electronic devices eventually need a reboot. That's just a fact of life. I have experienced similar phenomena with both iPhones and Android phones. A reboot should fix the problem. I suspect that something starts to get wonky between the cell provider and the phone, and restarting establishes the communications.

Where did you come up with that? Nowhere does it say to do that in the owners manual.
It's tribal knowledge from working with electronics my whole life. Any IT person will concur that you just need to reboot computers. Everything needs a reboot from time to time, humans, computers, phones, doesn't matter.

My MIL's phone was throwing a fit one time, she was complaining that people were telling her that they text her but she wasn't getting them. I reboot the phone and then a flood of texts came in.

It's just something you do.

How often?
It's not a specific interval. I could say daily, weekly, biweekly and it's not necessarily the right answer.

Daily is annoying
Weekly wouldn't be too bad and would probably prevent many problems.
Biweekly should be fine.
Monthly is probably pushing it.

It's not an exact science. Except that it is the first thing you do when you have a problem.

It's not a specific interval.
Yeap, there's just no rule.... I'm geek enough that I almost never reboot anything, certainly not on any schedule. Do I run into hiccups and glitches ? Hardly ever.... If I do, yeah, rebooting is step # 1 at "diagnosing".

i reboot when I remember, and sometimes i have my wife send me a text as a test. these stale phones as i like to call them happen often enough to me anyway.

How often?
I have a bedtime ritual where the phone gets unwanted images trashed then it's storage cleaned up of junk then turned off then plugged into the charger for overnite charging.

I don't want my phone making racket when I am sleeping or trying to get to sleep. Since I have a two day + battery, if the batt is over 75% I wont charge it - but it still gets shut off.

You should have icons on the phone showing status of the LTE and WIFI and if you accidentally hit the Airplane mode.

What brand and OS phone?

I only reboot if I notice an issue that simple fixes won't work, ie: turning on/off airplane mode that doesn't fix no-service or if Google Maps is giving me weird vibes and closing it out doesn't work. Other than that I might turn restart it once a month, maybe twice if it crosses my mind. On the bright side, Google releases updates for their phones often so that usually restarts it automatically while I sleep anyways.

How is a phone rebooted? Just hit the restart button or something more?

With iOS sliding downhill faster than a mud slide, I have to test/reboot my devices at least one a week. 🫤

Back