How often should I change oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under vehicle warranty, at least as often as often as OM recommended. Out of warranty, based on OF used and it's max recommended fci, 2-3 ocis not out of the question IMO and IME.

I've run a BD+ D3323 two oci's and posted here to 13.5k miles. Also an Ultra XG3614 posted here, run to 14k miles. Based on the results, I don't believe it hurt engine life one bit. Still own both vehicles, and while I don't make regular practice of running multi ocis, I certainly don't fear of it.

Just depends on your comfort level with multiple oci fcis.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
You're only saving like 20 bucks a year at the most by not changing the filter every time and that's with two vehicles.

It's not entirely about saving money though. For me, I like doing it on my wife's car and my Honda simply because I find changing the filter to be my least favorite part of the oil change and if I really don't need to do it every single time, then I'd rather not. I look at it this way, what's the difference between doing one long 12k OCI and keeping the same filter on there the entire time or doing two 6k OCIs and keeping the filter on there for both of those intervals? A lot of people on here do long intervals and don't worry about leaving the filter on there the entire time.

I also look at it this way, with a really good oil filter like the Fram Ultra, it's useful life is a lot longer than some of the oils that people are running, so why not take advantage of that ability?

It would be the same using a filter twice for two OCIs as keeping one for 12000 miles. I change my oil and filter around 6000 but you're right.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Is it necessary? No. Is it a good idea? Yes.

I don't see the point of adding one quart or so of dirty oil to four quarts or so of clean oil. The filter will be somewhat filled with dirt and end up running in bypass mode. For the little bit of money a filter costs I can't see being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

What filters hold a quart that aren't intended for a full sized truck? Most only use a half-quart..... sometimes even less.

Are you employed at a landfill?.... sure sound like you find it proper to just keep filling the earth's core and the bottom of the oceans with more garbage.

What does the Owner's Manual state? My OM states to change oil filter every other oil change for OCI. However; I follow Severe Service Intervals.

If engine is clean and you use a synthetic oil filter such as Fram Ultra, you may want to consider leaving oil filter for 2 OCI, pending on the length of your interval. Good luck!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Its best filtration is near the end of its lifecycle. The least efficient filtration is when its new out of the box.

Not necessarily.

"Not necessarily"? You are posting a chart that says "sometimes". I stand by what I said. As filters load, they become more efficient. I am sure there are some rare exceptions on some particular filters, but this does not apply to most normal filters. I have read technical papers that disagree with your chart. No need to chase a rabbit here.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Its best filtration is near the end of its lifecycle. The least efficient filtration is when its new out of the box.

Not necessarily.

"Not necessarily"? You are posting a chart that says "sometimes". I stand by what I said. As filters load, they become more efficient. I am sure there are some rare exceptions on some particular filters, but this does not apply to most normal filters. I have read technical papers that disagree with your chart. No need to chase a rabbit here.

Yeah, sometimes means your assumption is not necessarily always true.

Post up links to the info that you say shows otherwise.

Everyone should do this exercise. Use a one quart bottle to fill your new filter. Measure how much oil is left in the bottle. That way you know how much oil is left in the filter and potentially how much dirty oil is in it. Some posters say they have one quart in their oil filter. While it depends on your filter I’m going to say most modern car filters hold less than a quart. Some less than a quarter of a quart. I’ll check mine next time.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Wipe your rear end every time you take a dump or every other dump?

I do not drive my vehicles with "mud butt" and change the oil filter at every oil change.

That was hilarious!
lol.gif
But the other analogy is wiping and then throwing out the remainder of the TP!

We have the graph showing decreasing efficiency as oil filters are used. Time to turn the ship away from the myth oil filters filter better as they are used. I do see a problem, but not mentioning.

Info like in the link below also shows that oil filters can have issues retaining particles as they load up, and the delta-p increases across the media from changing flow. So it makes sense that any increase in delta-p (steady or dynamic) can cause particle shedding like what's shown in the Purolator/Mann+Hummel graph.

https://www.windpowerengineering.com/operations-maintenance/wind-techs-know-oil-filter-efficiency/

I've never seen any technical info or testing that shows oil filters get more efficient with use. I think it's a misconception (internet tale) based on how air filters behave with use. Oil and air filters don't seem to behave the same.

I never forget to change my oil filter yet I find myself remembering to change the filter in my central air unit about two months after it should have been done. When I see the filter I wonder how the unit is functioning.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Everyone should do this exercise. Use a one quart bottle to fill your new filter. Measure how much oil is left in the bottle. That way you know how much oil is left in the filter and potentially how much dirty oil is in it. Some posters say they have one quart in their oil filter. While it depends on your filter I’m going to say most modern car filters hold less than a quart. Some less than a quarter of a quart. I’ll check mine next time.
smile.gif

Calling this "dirty oil" is a misnomer. Think about it.

1- That oil is as clean as your oil filter can make it. Additives depleted somewhat, of course.
2- New oil often has more contamination in it that the oil in your crankcase. It's a problem that Noria has discussed many times in their white papers and one that you can see when you have contamination analysis done to virgin oil. There are example here at BITOG. The makeup of the contamination between new oil and the used oil in your filter may be different, with what's in your filter likely having a concentration of small particles (smaller than the absolute rating of the filter) and the new oil having more big stuff.
3- Industry experts claim the smaller the contamination, the less harmful it is and as filter have grown more efficient, it's they are cleaning the oil better. I'm not 100 percent aboard on the "don't sweat the small stuff" but there is test data to support the argument. Of course the modern engines are running at somewhat closer tolerance in some areas and have things like variable cam timing devices that (if equipped) can be sensitive to smaller particles.
4- The final consideration is that the most modern engines, with good air filtration and low wear metal generation, are challenging the oil filter much less than the old "metal-monster" flat-tappet, rocker arm, timing chain metal shedding old school engine of the past. It might not have been a viable idea back in those days, but today, many cars need an oil change due to additive depletion long before the filter is an issue.

Anyway, if you think a little and factor everything in, you can make a logical decision as to whether your engine is a candidate for doubling up the FCI or not. Yeah, you can fall back on the no-brainer, "just do it" and while that solves the problem, any logical decision making to the process. Most likely... by a high percentage IMO... you are tossing a filter that is under 50% utilized.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
smile.gif

Calling this "dirty oil" is a misnomer. Think about it.

1- That oil is as clean as your oil filter can make it. Additives depleted somewhat, of course.
2- New oil often has more contamination in it that the oil in your crankcase. It's a problem that Noria has discussed many times in their white papers and one that you can see when you have contamination analysis done to virgin oil. There are example here at BITOG. The makeup of the contamination between new oil and the used oil in your filter may be different, with what's in your filter likely having a concentration of small particles (smaller than the absolute rating of the filter) and the new oil having more big stuff.
3- Industry experts claim the smaller the contamination, the less harmful it is and as filter have grown more efficient, it's they are cleaning the oil better. I'm not 100 percent aboard on the "don't sweat the small stuff" but there is test data to support the argument. Of course the modern engines are running at somewhat closer tolerance in some areas and have things like variable cam timing devices that (if equipped) can be sensitive to smaller particles.
4- The final consideration is that the most modern engines, with good air filtration and low wear metal generation, are challenging the oil filter much less than the old "metal-monster" flat-tappet, rocker arm, timing chain metal shedding old school engine of the past. It might not have been a viable idea back in those days, but today, many cars need an oil change due to additive depletion long before the filter is an issue.

Anyway, if you think a little and factor everything in, you can make a logical decision as to whether your engine is a candidate for doubling up the FCI or not. Yeah, you can fall back on the no-brainer, "just do it" and while that solves the problem, any logical decision making to the process. Most likely... by a high percentage IMO... you are tossing a filter that is under 50% utilized.

Good post Jim Allen. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
... 4- The final consideration is that the most modern engines, with good air filtration and low wear metal generation, are challenging the oil filter much less than the old "metal-monster" flat-tappet, rocker arm, timing chain metal shedding old school engine of the past. It might not have been a viable idea back in those days, but today, many cars need an oil change due to additive depletion long before the filter is an issue. ...
The very first oil filter I ever dissected was off my parents' 1971 Dodge Coronet with the 318 in³ V8, which you might've considered such a "metal-monster." To my surprise, I could find very little "dirt" in it. Of course, that was before filters shrank.

I prefer to change the oil and filter at the same time. I have a few cheap Quaker State filters for my Honda and a bunch of the $2.00 super tech filters leftover from Walmart. We sold my wife's 2007 accord a couple years ago and that car used the same filter as my 2012 Civic therefore I am over-stocked. The Corvette gets its oil and filter changed very frequently because I am super fussy with the 6.0 liter engine and want it to stay as clean as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back