How often have you been towed, and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been towed, but my Mazda was in 1981 when it had only about 6000 miles. Dealer replaced the carburetor under warranty, although in hindsight I suspect the problem probably was something simpler. It also rode on flatbed trucks a couple of times, once when the electronic ignition "igniter" abruptly died on I-85 at 306k, and again when it was hauled away at the end at 606k miles. Several narrow escapes from getting towed with that car and both other previous cars. None with the Toyota so far.

Last edited:
84 Rabbit towed because the clutch cable snapped. Then towed one other time because it wouldn't start (faulty battery clamp).

04 S60- Tank was filled with bad gas. Made it as far as my house. Once it got there it failed to ever start again. Needed to be towed to the dealer who drained the tank. Luckily the gas station covered the bill.

...aside from that, I think that's it....:?

Only car I've had that needed to be towe was my VW
27.gif

Fuse box melted on top of the battery.

Close. -24F at ski area parking lot(age 20) VW Jetta would not start. 15w40 in sump
lol.gif

The crusty Vermonter driving tow truck went on how cruddy German cars were and insulted us flatlanders how stupid we were etc and but had idea of push start. He pushed started car with buddy and it caught downhill and I yelled to friend hop in and drove off. So who was the stupid one ?

Many times. Probably a dozen or so. The cost of driving higher mileage cars until the drive trains give up...and a few accidents between me and my wife. Alternator, starter, suspension, electronic/ignition failures, etc. Most of those tows in my 1st 25 years of driving. Can't think of any tows in the past 15 yrs.

One time, my 1969 Super Bee engine wiring harness overheated and then caught fire when leaving a car show 20 yrs ago (ignition wire short due to a previous owner's sloppy wiring/soldering) inside the dash/plug area. Had it towed home where I spent the next 2 weeks replacing the engine and dash/interior wiring harnesses during my spare time at night. That was fun...and instructional.

Driving since 1981.

Towed 3x, for mechanical failure. Twice was the 1987 Buick LeSabre. Once for the so-called bullet proof 3.8L V6 shreding it's timing gear. The second because the transmission decided to no longer work.

My current car, the 2003 Mazda Protege5 wouldn't start 50 miles from home. Ended up being a short. Thank goodness for AAA plus. Free tow. Only $110 for my shop to locate the short and get the car back on the road.

I've had a couple of other issues.

One was 25 miles from home when my '66 Nova wouldn't run right. Took the carb off in the parking lot, got picked up by a friend and taken home. I rebuilt the carb the next day, got a ride back to my car, reassembled it and drove it home.

My '79 Fairmont lost ignition. I was 3 blocks from home AND a parts store, so I bought a coil and an ignition module after testing for spark and finding none. Replaced them in the parking lot and drove it ever since.

Brakes went out on my truck as I was reversing out of my parking spot on campus. Had it towed to a local mechanic shop to redo my brakes. That was early this spring.

Line towed ? Hundreds of times - customers cars back to the shop, my own cars broken down. Last time at Easter when the alt in my son's car failed, and we towed it home at 1.00am with no lights.

On a tow truck, hook or flatbed ? Not so often, I usually prefer to do it myself. Only for a steering or suspension failure. My Austin 1800 with a steering universal spline failure, towed with our own hook truck. Our Morris Oxford with a suspension failure, hook truck to my mother's place, then I took it the rest of the way on a trailer. A VW Kombi with a thrown rod, there was no other way to get it home on a sturday night.

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport has been towed dozens of times because of serious mechanical failures. Finally sold it last year, to the towing company owner. He said he saw it so often, it was like family to him!

crackmeup2.gif

"Frog parking only, all others will be toad"

In 30 years of driving, I have been towed 2 times.
1) a 1965 Mustang with recently rebuilt transmission. Transmission failed. Transmission shop paid for the tow and (of course) the correct repair of the transmission.
2) after a highway accident where my vehicle was totaled. Technically not a tow as the vehicle was loaded onto a flatbed, I was driven home, and the car was unloaded into my driveway... I quickly limped it into the garage out of sheer embarrassment that my neighbors would see my once-beautiful car now destroyed and assume it was my fault, which it was not. The car still ran and could be limped along very short distances on the bent wheels and flat tires.
Fortunately I didn't have a scratch.
Also my AAA coverage provided the first 5 tow miles for free - the distance from the accident site to my home was 4.9 miles.

Once towed, had a few accidents and breakages but always got them home. Except when I brokethe steering knuckle going in a ditch. Managed to get the car out, but with 1 front (drive) wheel perpendicular, you're not going far....

My mustang 4 times., the most recent one was a few months ago, overheated on the highway, blown freeze plugs. Next was the alternator, then it wouldn't start something that had to do with the computer. First time was a fuel line had come loose. My Van hasn't left me stranded yet ( knock on wood ). We Had a Kia Sportage that was a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back